Lake Rawlings -- care to come?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you folks arriving on Saturday, or are you pullling in on Sunday? If you are going to be diving early, I may be able to join you if you have the room for me on some morning dives, but have to head for the mountains to visit family in the afternoon. Hmmm, I wonder if there are any problems going to the Blue Ridge after a day of diving Rawlings? I hadn't thought about it until I saw it typed out like this. I'll have to check on the altitude of the mountain I will be going to.

Jeadiver,
The plan is to meet on Sunday morning. Remember Monday is a holiday.

Last time we chatted about it, Rich and DG were planning on getting there when they opened. Dave and I will not be there quite that early, but we will get there in the morning.

DG,
I am also going to bring my portable grill as well, so we should be pretty set.

Sounds good CR! We'll be there.

I am in count down mode.... and very excited at this point. My living room looks like I am going to go make a border incursion on a forgin country. (and not a friendly one) I have a shooting practice on saturday morning so there are guns laying everywhere with boxes of ammo and loaded clips, then there is all the dive gear laid out to go though the checklist.... it acutally looks kinda cool LOL....

Hey Rich, How do ya scuba dive and take an M-16 with ya? Think Rawlings would mind? Hey, it isn't a knife....

CelticRavenVA:
I am in count down mode.... and very excited at this point.
Me too... It will be nice to dive the U-85 again. :wink:

Hey CR, it was great meeting you & Dave last weekend! Glad you found the "little" bit of Canada in the parking lot.

The invite to come north and dive is still there (check out the August OFWF gathering in Kingston Ontario)

Hey folks, Sorry I didn't make the dives, work ended up getting in the way (gotta pay for those exotic trips to Hatteras somehow). How was the diving and what were the temps? I hope everyone there made you feel welcome, if not let me know and I will give Erol, Sharon, Joe and Steve some "negative feedback" (read C**P).

Hopefully see you sometime, I'd love to meet up.

Sorry for the slow response here but I have been pretty busy at work this week.

So Dave and I arrive somewhere around 1:30 and got suited up, and drop in with Rich and Diving Gal. While I am glad I got the new wetsuit, cause the thermocline at 24 feet turned the water to ice, 54 degrees according to the tell tale dive gauges. I wish I had some more time to mess with that suit before hand. I felt like a total newbie and prob, looked like I had no clue what I was doing. I went with the recommendation from Henderson and the dive shop to counter the buoyancy from that suit, (my first mistake) I was so over weighted, that soon as we dropped down, I dropped like a rock.

The dive we made on that run was mostly above the thermocline and vis was only fair due to algae bloom in the water. I was having buoyancy control issues due to my weight and was getting fairly annoyed with it. (So was my buddy since he hadn't actually dove in a full suit in about 3 years) Really, I am a better diver then that.... I was actually embarrassed at how bad my control was.

The dive was a learning experience to say the least however. Afterward we sat around and chatted for a while and did lunch. A good time was had by all. I guess later this month I get to sort out the issues with that suit since I am diving Millbrook to do a Nitrox course. Hopefully I will get some pool time with that suit first.

Meeting everyone was the best part of this trip! I can't wait to meet some more people from the area, and get more dive time in!

Rich, Good luck over seas! Diving gal, let me know when you are going to be down this way again, we can hit anything in the area! I am game!

Thanks dude... I'll remember the invite.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom