Lakes, and rumors of Lakes.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having a buddy could be an important point as well in this event. Plus, it's more fun sitting in jail with someone you know than by yourself. :)

To quote a friend of mine: "A good friend will bail you out of jail. Your BEST friend will be sitting in the cell next to you saying, 'That was awesome! Let's do it again!'"

:D

Just keep in mind, there is no unowned property. If you find a lead on a good dive spot, do some leg work to locate the owners and get permission. Offering to provide information about it can sometimes be an incentive for them to grant permission.

I remember this one time that we got permission from someone, only to find a Game Warden waiting to talk to us when we surfaced... :whistling:

Have fun, new sites can be exciting!

Hahaa, that is definitely not a situation that i want to be in, although me and my buddy did come a bit close to that during out Ray Roberts caper.

i guess i didn't think about asking private owners if i could dive their property. I was more considering state parks, or lakes that are publicly owned. Also, i don't know any other way to tell if a privately owned lake is diveable or not other than calling the person who owns it and asking them, and that seems rather tedious.

I'd like to find some more good rivers to dive, seems to be better water overall than most lakes around here.
I didn't think about rivers! Hmmmmmm......

If you are looking for sites I use Google Maps it provides views that you cannot get from the road or highway.

If you are looking for contact information for property you can use the tax assessors office for name and address. Its all pretty much online.

Another option is to ask friends about places they might have used as a teenager for a watering hole or swim area. Just don't expect alot as things change.

After that I find geologic information interesting- such as the Edwards Aquifer.
Or early settlements such as forts, missions and early towns- they all required a constant fresh water supply.

In closing- were does the porty potty material goes... in to a pond.

Andrew

What do you mean by using geological information? Something like looking through old maps that show the area before the lake was formed or what?

Thank you all for the advice on exploring privately owned ponds, I'll keep it inmind if i find a place privately owned.

C'mon, Swamp divers! This guy says he wants somewhere new to dive and there are plenty of good dive sites out there. I'm sure he has the good sense to not dive in a livestock pond without getting hazard pay! :wink:
Check out my website www.texasdivesites.com and let me know more about the sites if you can. I haven't been to all of them but there are plenty to keep you busy for a long time! If any of the information is wrong I would love to hear about it so I can correct it.

You talk about them at one Swamper gathering and they appear... Rum and Pete... How about a update on when, where and what is happening in the Gulfstream...

Also, remember "Cruising is getting to do repairs in exotic places..."

Hope all is well and ya'll are having the experience you had hoped for...

Ok, I'll do a new thread to not hijack... :)

This was in reference to aquifers and how water moves into and out of the ground.
Imaging like this- The Edwards Aquifer Website
Happy hunting, Andrew

What do you mean by using geological information? Something like looking through old maps that show the area before the lake was formed or what?

Great site!

C'mon, Swamp divers! This guy says he wants somewhere new to dive and there are plenty of good dive sites out there. I'm sure he has the good sense to not dive in a livestock pond without getting hazard pay! :wink:
Check out my website www.texasdivesites.com and let me know more about the sites if you can. I haven't been to all of them but there are plenty to keep you busy for a long time! If any of the information is wrong I would love to hear about it so I can correct it.

I didn't think about rivers! Hmmmmmm......

A few years ago, a couple decided to tube down the Sabine River... that's right. I seem to remember that they drifted helplessly for around 18 hours before being rescued from insects and snakes.

Mama say, "Choose your rivers carefully."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom