Lakes, and rumors of Lakes.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here...take this....you'll need it....

CTDiver.jpg

lol.. Printing out a copy now..

I admire your honesty in looking for new ponds but there are a few things to keep in mind.

As mentioned ownership of the land is primary concern a close second is water quality.
With advanced divers we often do not address water quality or what has been dumped into the water. If you dive strange water I recommend always clearing your ears with a wash or something like swim ear. Ear infections are no fun.

Happy hunting...
Andrew

Agreed... And Viral Meningitis isn't either.

I dove Eagles Nest Sink the other day and my instructor passed me a bottle of custom rubbing alcohol w/glycerin and one other chemical that he has made up, after we finished diving. I'm going to have the same made in the event I get into any stagnent water off the road less traveled back home. Probably not a bad idea for most places in Texas if it is hot without much traffic or movement.

I dove Eagles Nest Sink the other day and my instructor passed me a bottle of custom rubbing alcohol w/glycerin and one other chemical that he has made up, after we finished diving. I'm going to have the same made in the event I get into any stagnent water off the road less traveled back home. Probably not a bad idea for most places in Texas if it is hot without much traffic or movement.
Vinegar & Alcohol mixes are the most popular. Proportions vary with whom you ask. I use equal parts 50% alcohol and 4% acid white vinegar. Has about a 30 day life before the acid breaks down but it's virtually free to make. Some say to soak each ear for 3 minutes a day, but I just rinse after every dive and every shower of a dive trip - anywhere! I didn't used to be so diligent but the ear infections seem to get worse.

Glycerin can prevent stinging of a higher alcohol content such as sold in OTC packages where more alcohol is used to compensate for vinegar not able to be included.

A very few sources suggest Hydrogen Peroxide, but that's a mistake. Used straight it can be damaging; mixed with the above, it breaks down to water quickly so is worthless.

Swimming and more so full, prolonged immersion diving in lakes, especially warm water, can have much worse risks tho: Primary amebic meningoencephalitis, toxic algae blooms, and biting insects to name a few.

That "recipe" for homemade swimmer's ear drops is:
1 Bottle Isopropyl Alcohol
1 Tbsp Boric Acid
2 Tbsp Glycerin
(all very little $ and found at any Wal-mart in the pharmacy area)

Pour out about half of the Alcohol and save it.
Put in the Boric Acid (affects pH to ward off infection) and the Glycerin (helps prevent the alcohol from drying/cracking surfaces in ear canal). Cap and shake well.
Pour back in Alcohol to fill to original level.

For the cost of the above, you will have many, many times the drops that you get in a little bottle purchased anywhere. Share with friends, hand out as party favors, whatever.

Definitely make your own ear drops. All you need is rubbing alcohol and a weak, acetic acid (e.g. white vinegar). A 50/50 mixture works well. The acetic acid kills the critters and the alcohol dries the water up. Some folks add a little glycerin to offset potential over dryness, sometimes caused by the alcohol.

As an added benefit you smell like salad dressing until you can find a warm shower. :D

Back
Top Bottom