land based flash for m4/3 platform

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tripntx

Contributor
Reaction score
What is a good flash to use on land for Olympus Pen cameras? My E-PL1 is used u/w and on land as my priamary camera. Just started taking an Intro to Photo course at local college, so I need lens and flash to compete with all the DSLR students.

Olympus has a range of flashes. The FL14 is targeted at this camera family. Earlier flashes for E series cameras work too. The FL20 is a nice compact flash that would work well with it. The larger flashes will give you more reach at higher cost (FL-36R) and a few more features, but the two smaller flashes are a good match to the size of the M43 cameras.

Attachments

• Olympus FL-14 Flash.jpg
    Olympus FL-14 Flash.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Olympus FL-20 Flash.jpg
    Olympus FL-20 Flash.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 26
Olympus has a range of flashes. The FL14 is targeted at this camera family. Earlier flashes for E series cameras work too. The FL20 is a nice compact flash that would work well with it. The larger flashes will give you more reach at higher cost (FL-36R) and a few more features, but the two smaller flashes are a good match to the size of the M43 cameras.

I have the FL-14 for my E-P1. I'm not a big fan of it. I would go with at least the FL20.

The FL-14 is so close to the lens that you can get a lot of lens shadowing of the flash. It's also not very powerful, and goes through AAA batteries fairly quickly. I've sometimes had overexposure problems with it, and had to take it off the camera and clean the contacts.

Back
Top Bottom