Lanyard Attachment Mod

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

prskate2

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
With my RMM the way the Lanyard attaches to the camera seems as if it will break very easily. What mod can you guys thing of? I have one in mind anyway.
If not what do you use to attach your camera to your BC or your wrist?

Thanks Denise, but I am looking for something to make.

Just the hole to loop the lanyard. Can you show me the a picture of the new set up?

The Minis no longer have the quick release clips that have failed in the past. Its a continuous lanyard connection now. I removed the metal ring as it seem to put a stress on the plastic loop if twisted and threaded the lanyard thru the plastic loop. I dont know how strong that plastic loop is so its better to be safe.

I take this back.

On the first usage today in a lake, the lanyard seperated were the splice is on contact with water. It just came apart; I guess the splice is just glued. I suggest cutting the lanyard were the splice is and tieing a knot so you don't lose your camera. Don't trust the splice in the lanyard any more than trusting the clips on the clipped ones.

Thankfully the lanyard failed on entry in 4 ft of clear calm water.

Last edited:
you will probably find that it's not glued, but melted together, plastic string melts very easily, especially if you have a gas creme brulee torch:).

if you have a splice which is properly done it will not come apart in the water, it's great fun splicing ropes together, puting loops in ropes etc, well worth learning. i have a lanyard on my Sony P7 which has been spliced to the housing & a snaplock on the other end to attach it to myself (d ring in the pocket works well).

for a larger camera take a look at these guys LUMB BROS Lanyards especially their detached coil lanyards. They have the snap lock to bring it closer to the body during ascent/decent/times you aren't using the camera, but the ends which attach to the body & camera are good solid stainless steel, when some idiot drops a cylinder on it a crack will not develop and break underwater unlike plastic.

good luck

I replaced the lanyard with a larger rope with way for more tensile strength. The lanyard from SL easily frayed and broke. I added 2 larger rings and threaded the rope thru a section of rubber hose for wrist comfort. I heated the rubber hose to mold it to my wrist. Same design but super heavy duty. I can't fathom such a weak lanyard on such and expensive piece of equipment.

Last edited:
Same design but super heavy duty.

if it works for you it's the right one!

I can't fathom such a weak lanyard on such and expensive piece of equipment.[/QUOTE]

possibly it's a 'pretty bit' not added by the engineers who did the equipment, but the cynical would say that one lost camera is another camera sale.

glad you have solved your problem

Back
Top Bottom