Lanyard Attachment Mod

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well sylpha, Im glad others posted because Im ready for deeper ocean dives now and would hate to lose the camera. As an ex designer myself, I was skeptical of the lanyard in the first place and kept a tight eye on its wear and wa surprised though when it melted apart and frayed apart; thanfully I took the ring off and threaded it thru the plastic so the string didn't just seperate from the camera. I do some rocky diving here in NE.

Lets hope the O-ring and latched door works well as it doesnt apperar to be a very tight closure but I assume water pressure will assist with its closure and all that is needed is a clean o-ring and contact surface.

Last edited:
After my third dive the strap came apart as I was getting in the boat. The camera was headed to Davie Jones Locker when my dive buddy grabbed it, as it was making its own decent. I then tied the cord in a knot for next dive and also hold the camera in my hand at all times. I have since added a strobe with bracket which has made it postive bounant.

It's funny to see this thread, as my RMM, that came with the original lanyard connection, just had that snap. Thankfully it was on land as I was gearing up. My friend has a newer one that uses the loop. I was thinking of doing something similar with a small keyring. But as someone mentioned above, will that put too much stress on that plastic part?

A solid key ring will probably put too much stress on the plastic.Ide suggest using a small thin ring or 2 like the types you see on tagas etc. I used 2 of these rings. You just want to make sure the ring is loose when put thru the plastic eyelet. I believe Sealife should recall these lanyards so no more people lose their cameras or send out a warning not to use them.

There is obviously a design flaw due to the low quality of the lanyard.

Last edited:
My main lanyard has had no problems so far, but the one from the WA lens to the camera broke on about dive 5 with the camera. Gotta figure something out for that. To date, I use the WA lens on almost all the time, anyway, so I just hold it in my hand or put it in its bracket when not in use. But I'd still like my little safety string back, as the lens is negatively buoyant. I appreciate reading all the suggestions on here.

i'm not sure how thick your lens lanyard is, but if it's very thin i suggest you go to a curtain shop & ask about their 'blind cord' it is incredibly strong (they told me you could hang a man with it, but didn't tell me which man). it usually costs about 30 pence a meter over here, i use it on slate pencils and anything with a smaller attachment hole, often putting a loop of blind cord through the hole & attaching a lanyard to that.

i added another larger split ring to the small one that's on the camera, and that split ring is on a coiled lanyard thing that is hooked to my BC with a bolt snap. i also looped a separate lanyard around the strobe and connected that to the coiled lanyard thing, because if your camera should come off the base (it's only screwed on there, and could possibly come off), then you don't want to lose the strobe too! but i too am worried about the strength of that little plastic ring on the camera..........should have been stainless steel, and a bit larger!!

Last edited:
Fishermen use high strength small diameter materials all the time. Consider Dacron. I have a spool of 400 pound test dacron and with a little practice splicing this is easy and neat. I have used this even to repair my wind chime in my back yard!

Back
Top Bottom