Laptops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ditto. Carry on.

Just too hard to replace the laptop and any files that might be lost
and an easy target to steal by airport employees

Carry on the Regulator/dive computer, the camera gear/strobe kit, and the laptop.

mike_s:
Ditto. Carry on.

Just too hard to replace the laptop and any files that might be lost
and an easy target to steal by airport employees

Carry on the Regulator/dive computer, the camera gear/strobe kit, and the laptop.

It gets crazy too. As a pro-photog I carried WAY to much crap on that plane to Hawaii last month. You would think I was moving there.

Ben

CameronMartz:
Of course, I agree that you should not subject your laptop to the woes of checked baggage.

For years, I also carried on my regs, though American Airlines would not let me do that just three weeks ago flying from RDU. The best bet is to check ahead, as it is left up to each airline and even each individual airport for things like that.

Cameron, why would they not let you take your regs as carry on??

I never have this problem (mind you, I fly Canadian carriers) .... all I do is explain that my regulators are a fragile life support system, and need to handled personally to ensure that they are not damaged.

Does AA have this in their policy? I would check that online. My regs are too important to be in a bag that is going to get tossed around like a sack of 'taters.

This reminds me of the older Toshiba commercials, when the guys checks his notebook!

But I always carry mine on, I have seen what luggage can do a LCD screen and it is not cheap to replace.

Canadian_Diver:
Cameron, why would they not let you take your regs as carry on??

I never have this problem (mind you, I fly Canadian carriers) .... all I do is explain that my regulators are a fragile life support system, and need to handled personally to ensure that they are not damaged.

Does AA have this in their policy? I would check that online. My regs are too important to be in a bag that is going to get tossed around like a sack of 'taters.

To be honest, I got the feeling that I was dealing with two people that didn't really know what they were talking about, but in the end, I realized that didn't matter- they said regs couldn't go unless checked, so that's what I had to do. Nonetheless, I use a hardshell case that I got for travelling with my triathlon gear, and they were at least safe from damage in there.

I have carried on regs several times without this problem, but I will always make sure I have a "Plan B" when I show up at the ticket counter.

Cameron

bp_968:
It gets crazy too. As a pro-photog I carried WAY to much crap on that plane to Hawaii last month. You would think I was moving there.

Ben

My regulator bag and camera ball will fit in one of those "roll behind" suitcases that will fit in the overhead bin. The laptop bag will sit "on top" of that bag and keeps me under the two bag "Carry on" limit.

CameronMartz:
To be honest, I got the feeling that I was dealing with two people that didn't really know what they were talking about, but in the end, I realized that didn't matter- they said regs couldn't go unless checked, so that's what I had to do.
Were these two people American Airlines employees? How did the subject of the presence of your regs in your carryon come up if it was at the checkin counter?

Charlie99:
Were these two people American Airlines employees? How did the subject of the presence of your regs in your carryon come up if it was at the checkin counter?

If you really need to read the whole story...<g>

Yes, they were AA employees.

Because I had the locking hardcase with all of my other gear to check, and the TSA always wants to open it because of my backplates, lights, etc. As I said, I never had a problem before, so I didn't think I'd be inviting one by telling them that I had dive gear in my checked luggage, and that I wanted to be there when the TSA inspected it so that I could explain what everything was and give them my key to lock it back up. They decided to check the official policy on checking SCUBA gear to see if I had to pay any additional fees. They then rattled off the list of SCUBA gear that was listed in their policy. They asked if I was checking tanks. I said "no." They asked if I was checking a buoyancy device, or something to that effect. I said "yes." They asked if I was checking regulators. I said, "No. They're in my carry-on." They replied, "Those need to be in your checked luggage." I informed them that I've flown with my regs in my carry-on before, but they said that their rules prohibited that. I didn't bother arguing the point because:

1. I was on vacation.
2. It was 5am.
3. I hadn't flown with my regs in 18 months, and I thought it entirely plausible that their rules had changed since then.

In reading this thread, it seems like I'm the only guy this has happened to, thankfully, as I hope to be able to carry on my regs in the future. I'm definitely going to call ahead, though, and get some sort of official statement that it is allowed so that I can take it with me through check-in and security.

Cameron

Very interesting.

Various airlines have policies & charges for carrying unusual sports gear like surfboards and bicycles that don't fit in luggage. Many of them have in that same section on sports gear, info on scuba equipment and the charge for shipping one complete set, including tanks. Once in a great while, someone will post that some airline charged them this "scuba equipment" fee even for stuff that was in a normal suitcase.

I'm glad it was a couple confused airline people giving you a hard time rather than TSA. So far TSA seems to be OK with us bring on a heavy metal object at the end of a couple feet of hose, even though they freak out about nunchucks/nunchakus, etc. :)

CameronMartz:
To be honest, I got the feeling that I was dealing with two people that didn't really know what they were talking about, but in the end, I realized that didn't matter- they said regs couldn't go unless checked, so that's what I had to do. Nonetheless, I use a hardshell case that I got for travelling with my triathlon gear, and they were at least safe from damage in there.

Wow, that's the most bizarre thing I've heard. They didn't even tell you why you couldn't take them?

Good thing you had that hardshell case for sure!

Back
Top Bottom