Larger Tanks for deep dives (100ft)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

salub2007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
HI,

Planning a few deeper wreck dives this summer.
Would like to have a single tank that can have
superior bottom time over what I have now. using a HP steel
100. I am thinking of the Faber 118 blue steel. Any thoughts..
I am 250 pounds and consume air very fast at depth, but it has gotten
much better in the past year or so. Still would like the safety of extra air.

I am also looking to carry a pony on a pony bracket attachment. What size would
you need with a 118? I am new to diving with only 70 dives. I am however in my advanced training with SSI, and taking the deep course this summer. Would like to
get equipped before the class begins. Again I require more air than most..

Thanks, and Happy ST Patty's Day!

Salub2000
MJ

Worthington has their HP 130's. I've been happy with mine.

I would sling an AL40 with those tanks.

The reason I went with an AL40 was it was very close to 1/3 my back gas and as I moved into tec diving it makes for a good deco bottle.

Have you considered independent doubles? There are several home-made ways to attach them to a backplate, or you could go with the Dive-Rite or OMS solutions. This would give you an extra HP100 and choices based upon the dive ahead.

Another vote for the HP130s, if you have a shop that can provide 3442 fills. They're nice tanks from a dimension standpoint and trim out well, and you'll run into deco or get cold before you run out of gas :)

I've been using steel 119's and have had great luck with them (and I'm not exactly a small person) I'm considering doubling them at some point this season, but have had no problems running low on gas as singles. I also sling an al40 for contingency.

130's as someone mentioned are the same size and I think weigh slightly more. You can't go wrong with those sizes.

Good luck on your purchase!

I dream with an HP130.
There is no rental steel tanks, only those AL80.

I will throw in another vote for the HP130s, great tanks! Loads of gas and trim out very nicely. I dive LP95s regularly and they behave very similarly.

Peace,
Greg

I vote for more shallow diving till you are better with your gas consumption.

I would never want to tell somebody what they ought to, but I would say that if/when you go deeper, remember that it is all the more important to go slow and stay relaxed. CO2 buildup and gas consumption are a !*#$%@ at depth if you start working too hard.

ADDITIONAL: Don't be tempted into the evils of skip breathing to reduce your gas consumptions. Especially not at depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom