laser eye correction and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just did Lasik less than a week ago, my doctor is not very good with diving issues and he seemed confused about my no dive time. First he said at least 2 months and then he said 3 months. My surgery was a normal custom Lasik surgery with no complication. DAN wrote around 4 weeks tops, including 2 weeks contingency.
I am not sure what to do and certainly I don’t want to stay for 3 months!!!
Zaff

It seems DAN is saying the same thing as my Doctor - Who is one of the guys that goes around training other doctors on how to do the surgery. (Which makes me think he probably knows what he is talking about)

YMMV

When I had lasik, I was told to wait 3 months before diving again. Good thing I got it done in the January. I waited the 3 months and was diving in April. It's your eyes, I wouldn't risk diving again to soon.

So true. Trying to figure out the least amount of time to wait is asking for trouble. In the big scheme of things (your life!), is waiting another month to dive that big of a deal?

... It's your eyes, I wouldn't risk diving again to soon.

No problem! Best thing I ever did!
After the drops wear off, your eyes will sting pretty good for about a half hour, then fine. I had a girl friend that had exactly the same experience, some stinging for a half hour.

I had lasik done ten years ago and opted for the "mono-vision" where my dominate eye was improved to 20/15 and my non-dominate eye was unimproved to 20/40. Now at 60 I still do not need to wear any glasses except sunglasses.(Why have the operation if you still need reading glasses?) It was to best $3000usd I have ever spent. Doctor said wait three months to go diving because back then no one knew anything about diving afterwards in Plano,Texas.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

I've went back and forth on this decision many times. I just turned 43 and wear glasses, I've worn them since middle school.
I've been told before that I was a good candidate. My biggest concern was that I've have to wear glasses for reading anyway, so in effect, I'd be trading one pair of glasses for another.

I'm giving thought again to getting the procedure again, being able to see at far distances without glasses would be great.

I'm still not sure about being 43 and getting it done.

-Mitch

Had mine done a year ago, Lasik. Both eyes were -10 (wearing glasses since grade 2), but I was blessed with thick corneas, so a lot of material to work with.

For ~ 3 years prior I had been using bifocal contatcts, so this did not introduce that issue, in fact it helped. Although I did not opt for different levels of correction, the reality is that the greater your correction, the greater the rebound. Overall my vision rebounded to 20/30, not enough to warrant (in my mind) a follow up procedure as it is not enough to make me want to put glasses back on. The rebound was slightly less on my left eye than my right, such that I get by with 2X drug store reading glasses that I might need to use two or three times a month.

I am pretty pleased.

I had mine done about 3½ years ago. I wore glasses since 10th grade. I lost out on many activites thru life, but also made many adjustments and work-arounds too. One of the major issues I was concerned with was will the FAA still allow me to fly. After speaking with pilots in Iraq and how the aviation medical commuity was now tolerant of the procedures, I decided to give it a go.:crazyeye:

Wow...I was so amazed. Better than 20/20 in both eyes. As mentioned it was not long before I needed reading glasses, but $15 for 1.5x reading glasses is much better than the $100s I would spend annually on prescription glasses and sunglasses. I "baby'd" my eyes for the first month or two with the special eye drops, but for me the best treatment I had was after a week and a half from the surgery, I went to Cabo. Though I could not dive on the advise of my doctor, I snorkled. At the end of the snorkle trip I swam for about 10 minutes in the ocean with my eyes open. Before the trip I was experiencing a lot of dryness in the healing process; but after the swim, all my dryness went away. I am convinced that there was something about the salinity of the ocean and my natual eye's properties that enhanced my recover time. After the trip to Cabo I was cleared by my doctor to return to work in Iraq. Total time from surgery to medical release was 18 days.

Since the surgery, my active life as only gotten better. I no longer dive with contact lenses (that on more than one occasion fell out underwater). Like previously mentioned small print on dive computers can be a a hassle, but I have a large, easy to read Atomic Cobalt that I love and a wrist computer too.

Like others have said...I wished I done this years ago. My life has only gotten better. :D

~Me~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom