Last Minute Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Food is such a subjective thing...you can ask 10 people what they thought of one single dish and you will get 10 different answers.

The bottom line is: don't go to an island in a third world country and expect your American taste to be satisfied. They simply DON'T EAT like we do down there. They come from a Spanish culture...the dishes offered definitely reflect that taste. There are many great items on the menu. Whether they are appealing to you is a different matter. If you don't like the Spanish twist there are options to appeal to ALMOST anyone...you won't go hungry.

We are hoping for local food. In our limited traveling, we always go out of our way to try the local dishes. We have had some great food in Mexico and Belize. Now we are looking forward to some different food. My question about bringing snacks, is because I like to eat. Sitting around in the evening and munching on something while having a few cold ones. And something to eat between dives. I watch my diet while at home, try to limit fats, salt and other stuff that is not good for my blood pressure and cholesterol. (just went to the doc and everything is good) but on vacation, I am on a see food diet. I want to eat what ever is around. I will worry about going back to the gym when I get back home.

Jeff:

Take the snacks if you want; just be sure that they are air tight so you won't attract wildlife - bugs and things, altho I didn't see any in our room the last trip. There is a mini-fridge in the room. Take ziplocks and a lunch bag to gather things off of the buffet to take onto the boat and to your room. The buffet is not impressive, but you can always find something that works ok. I ate on theory only: "It's meal time so, I'll eat." Certainly never hungry.

Notice that the signs say to not feed the wildlife. The reason is that they can get aggressive if teased or fed, especially the big iguanas. The little monkeys are darling, but if you offer food and one grabs your glasses or camera - the others will get involved if you try to get it back. Give the pair of geese plenty of room; I carried my backpack between them and my legs. Ok I did take a roll to the duck that hangs around the dock. :blush:

Those geese are something else :eyebrow: I used to think they were such beautiful creatures until I learned a little something about their personalities :shocked2:

Those geese are something else :eyebrow: I used to think they were such beautiful creatures until I learned a little something about their personalities :shocked2:
The U.S.Army has used them in security. The Hen just stayed with the Gander but he was very protective. Always plenty of room to walk around them.

I'm like you when it comes to food and I love local specialties... but FI is by no way a food lovers paradise or a good place to try local delicacies...:shakehead: The food is OK (Blah by my very high standards) and plentifull and the others are righ; you won't go hungry as it's always possible to find something OK to eat. personally, the best things there when I went was the shrimp and fried fish (both caught locally I hear).. Anyways, just don't get your hopes up on the food (it was pretty much my only disapointment while there).

Another thing to bring is Immodium (or comething of the sort). Chances are it will come in handy. it did for me when I ran in INTO A MILD CASE OF....:mooner: It just helped me not miss a dive. Obviously for a major case of :mooner: it wouldn't have helped much, but it's still good to have...

Just my 0.02$:coffee:

We are hoping for local food. In our limited traveling, we always go out of our way to try the local dishes. We have had some great food in Mexico and Belize. Now we are looking forward to some different food. My question about bringing snacks, is because I like to eat. Sitting around in the evening and munching on something while having a few cold ones. And something to eat between dives. I watch my diet while at home, try to limit fats, salt and other stuff that is not good for my blood pressure and cholesterol. (just went to the doc and everything is good) but on vacation, I am on a see food diet. I want to eat what ever is around. I will worry about going back to the gym when I get back home.

Jeff:

Another thing to bring is Immodium (or comething of the sort). Chances are it will come in handy. it did for me when I ran in INTO A MILD CASE OF....:mooner: It just helped me not miss a dive. Obviously for a major case of :mooner: it wouldn't have helped much, but it's still good to have...

Just my 0.02$:coffee:

Good point. I have a very "sensitive" system and had that problem on the first couple of trips there and then I was told to stay away from the salads...haven't had a problem since. Stick to the old adage "boil it, peel it, cook it or forget it" and you'll be fine.

Good point. I have a very "sensitive" system and had that problem on the first couple of trips there and then I was told to stay away from the salads...haven't had a problem since. Stick to the old adage "boil it, peel it, cook it or forget it" and you'll be fine.
I ate some things off of the salad bar, but never ever eat iceberg lettuce (hamburger cooks wonder about me); maybe that's why I had no problems. I did give some of my pink stomach meds to a friend the last day.

If I were there now, I'd sure I'd blame my cramps on the food - but I guess I'll have to blame the people at the play I went to Friday. It's fun to blame somebody, but you never know for sure. :crying2: Hate being sick - yuck!

That's what I always do, but still got a mild case.. That's OK, part of traveling! :wink: Just glad I didn't miss a dive... :D

Funny that Honduras requires a passport be good for six months beyond the planned exit date, but they do.

The gift shop dive shop both there are well stocked and the prices are ok.
Are you sure about the 6 months? All the sites I have read including the DAN Worldcue Planner say that you are only required to have 3 months left on your passport to enter.

Back
Top Bottom