Last minute suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Didje

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey guys,

I'm wondering if any of you can help with a few last minute suggestions for a DIVE trip (not a trip with some diving...) as I want to do at least 3 dives a day.
I'm pretty flexible on the destination and the duration, as long as it fits between Feb 22nd and March 6th. I've been to Reef House Resort in Roatan so I was hoping to find something similar - 3 boat dives, accommodation and meals included. I will be traveling alone. Does such a resort exist outside of Roatan? :idk:

Some options:

Belize
Isla Marisol
Blackbird Caye
Turneffe Island Resort

Utila
Deep Blue Utila
Laguna Beach Resort

Bahamas

San Salvador:
Riding Rock Inn

Andros:
Small Hope Bay Lodge

Cayman Brac
Brac Reef Resort

all I can think of...

Last edited:
diversteve, thanks for such a quick and thorough reply! Looking into some options...

There are two places I would highly recommend. The first is CoCo View on Roatan. I know you've been there, but this is south shore diving, which is different from Reef House. Lodging, meals and diving are included. At CoCo View, you can literally and easily dive 24 hours a day.

There are two scheduled boat dives daily. One in the morning and one in the afternoon. As a 2nd and 4th dive of the day, your boat captain will drop you off on either of two walls or over the wreck of the Prince Albert where you can explore and exit on the shore just a few yards from the dunk tanks and lockers. During the night or early morning (I love the 5:00 just-before-dawn-dives) you can take a tank at any time and easily make 5 dives a day.

The other recommendation Cobalt Coast Resort on Grand Cayman. Meals are included at $60 per person per day. While this may seem steep, Grand Cayman is steep. And, eating in is not only more convenient, it's no more costly than eating out. You have your choice right off the menu. The restaurant has a very nice variety ranging from typical Cayman to Indian to American cuisine. Dinner includes soup or salad plus an entree and dessert.

As for the diving -- there are two boat dives each morning. The first is a deep reef (40' to 110' -- however you want to go) and the second is shallower (30' - 50'). In the afternoon and night you can shore dive. There are two excellent shore dive locations. One, right off the dock at Cobalt Coast. The miniwall is an easy swim, and it's filled with the usualy Cayman reef fish and critters. On one night dive, I saw squid, octopi, turtles, big porcupine fish, trunk fish, green and spotted moray eels, crabs and lobster. If you like, you can also swim or scuba out to the main wall.

The second shore dive location is Lighthouse Point, just a few minutes away from Cobalt Coast. The Cobalt Coast dive operator, DiveTech, has a second shop here. They will shuttle you from and back to Cobalt Coast whenever you want to go. Lighthouse Point is one of the best shore dives on Grand cayman, with mini-wall, main wall and lots of critters. I don't think I've done a shore dive there without seeing at least one turtle. The best news about Lighthouse Point is that when the seas are too rough to dive at Cobalt Coast, you can almost always get in at Lighthouse.

In any case, have fun.

I suggest:

Belize

Coco Plum
Blackbird Caye
Turneffe Island Resort

End it at Placencia to dive with the whale sharks and from there a short hop to Roatan and the Bay Islands.

Back
Top Bottom