Last minute trip to Thailand - need help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

motspach

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys We're on a RTW trip and we have a few weeks to kill. We've decided we'd like to do some diving in Thailand. From what I've read, the gulf of thailand seems like the place to be at this time of year. Is the best option Koh Tao? We will be in the perhentians in malaysia in about a months time so a bit of variety would be nice however we are bound by the seasons it seems. I have read the west coast has better dive sites but not that great this time of year... Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

In general weather conditions are better now in the Gulf compared to the Andaman side. Right now, for weeks on and there have been whale shark sightings at Sail Rock and Chumpon Pinnacle. No guarantee for when you dive there but something to consider nonetheless.
The Similans at the Andaman side are now also closed for a couple of months.

Yes, the Similans are closing now for the season, but it's still possible to dive the southern islands (to the south of Phuket), and there are a few livaboard options that make it easy. If you have a few weeks to kill, why not go both to the Andaman side and to the Gulf side? Best of both worlds!

Thanks for your prompt replies guys. I think Koh Tao is probably the best bet as we will only be travelling on a transit visa (2 weeks) on our way to Malaysia.
Can anyone recommend a good outfit to do AOW and fun dives, preferably with accommodation included in the package?
In Cambodia we managed to get $20 dives with free food and accommodation so something along those lines would be excellent!

Thanks

Thanks for your prompt replies guys. I think Koh Tao is probably the best bet as we will only be travelling on a transit visa (2 weeks) on our way to Malaysia.
Can anyone recommend a good outfit to do AOW and fun dives, preferably with accommodation included in the package?
In Cambodia we managed to get $20 dives with free food and accommodation so something along those lines would be excellent!

Thanks

If you arrive overland, you will get a 15 day visa, however, if you arrive in Thailand by plane you should receive a 30 day visa, pending on your country of origin/passport.

Thanks

Have you considered a liveaboard?

Boat.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom