Late Renewal / Reinstatement Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KrisB

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In an e-mail dated Nov 27/08 to Sean Harrison, I wrote this:

Hi Sean,

I am writing to ask on the policy for late renewal -- at the moment, I haven't met this part of the instructor renewal policy:

# Complete at least one of the following teaching options:
* Teach a SDI/TDI/ERDI course and register the students as SDI/TDI/ERDI Divers
* Serve on staff and lecture at a complete SDI/TDI/ERDI training program
* Serve as an assistant for two complete SDI/TDI/ERDI diving courses

-- as the market for SDI courses in Hawaii is next to nothing. I'm also questioning the value in renewing my SDI credentials if I'm not using them.

So what I'm wondering is this:

1. if I allow my membership to lapse, then decide sometime in 2009 to renew it, what would I have to do?
2. if I allow my membership to lapse, but wait until 2010 or beyond to renew it, what would I have to do?

I have not yet received a reply.

Is it possible that someone else from International Training could reply to these questions?

Thanks,

I don't have access to our database from this machine (I'm on the road and working from an EeePC which is why I am logged in on my personal rather than my HQ account) . In any event, I am unable to look up your current status including when you last taught an SDI or TDI course. That would have some bearing on how I frame my response. The generic version is that an instructor who does not teach a program at his/her highest level for a couple of years has to sit an examination and/or work with an IT to become reinstated.

I will however, speak with Sean this morning and suggest either he or Steve Moore contact you directly.

Has the administrative crossover procedure changed? When I became an SDI instructor, it was accomplished by sending some paperwork in and getting some certificates, cards and a manual back... :)

Has the administrative crossover procedure changed? When I became an SDI instructor, it was accomplished by sending some paperwork in and getting some certificates, cards and a manual back... :)

Training will be sending out an email to you today or tomorrow.

Training will be sending out an email to you today or tomorrow.
Hi Steve,

I hope to receive that. So far, it's been over three weeks since I e-mailed Sean, and 10 days since I posted here. Not exactly the quick response I hope for when it comes to a question that is time sensitive -- as it is, I've missed the Dec 15 cutoff, despite what I thought would be sufficient lead time (and, in my experience, this would have been dealt with inside of 48 business hours with other agencies).

Well, the days promised (and most of one more) have come and gone. If I'm lucky, I'll get a response Monday or Tuesday next -- otherwise the membership will lapse and SDI will be down one member.

Kris,

Sorry for the delay in responding to you. Sean has been traveling a lot lately thus the reason for his delayed response. Your thread was sent to me for response as I normally do not follow what is posted daily on SB, Steve takes care of that.

Now on to your questions.

1. if I allow my membership to lapse, then decide sometime in 2009 to renew it, what would I have to do?

Because you have not taught a class with us since 2007, you would be required to make application to the training department once again. Our crossover procedures have changed substantially in the last few years. You would not have to go through the whole process but there would be some items you would have to complete. First and foremost, when an instructor has not been active with us for longer than two years, they are required to do the Online familiarization course. It is essentially like our OW coure. Based on your performance on this course would determine what would occur next. Due to the fact that some inactive instructor sometimes do not teach nor dive during their period of inactivity, we require more at times. In this case you would also need to be signed off by an IT. As is required during our crossover procedures.

2. if I allow my membership to lapse, but wait until 2010 or beyond to renew it, what would I have to do?

In this case you would be required to go through the online familarization course, then be signed off by an IT.

Now on to your final statment about missing the 15th cut off. Due to our missing responding to you in time, I would be happy to waive the extra fee for missing the date. Please send your renewal directly to me and I will take care of it.

Also, should there be any other issue you are not getting a response to or you wish to contact me directly on anything, please do so brian.carney@tdisdi.com. Hopefully I have answered all of your questions.

thank you,
Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom