Lately near Koh Phi Phi???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Susie

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey Gang,
My gang is coming to Phi Phi in one month and can hardly stand the wait!
Do tell! What have you been seeing around Koh Phi Phi lately, underwater?
What kind a critters? How cold/warm is the water? How cold is the beer? :)
thanks a million,
Susi

h

Lol.. love your enthuasism... I was in Phi Phi a week ago and had posted some pics in my earlier review.
Phi Phi has quite bad vis right now.. but hopefully it will improve with the season. Tons of shrimp/lobsters. Look out for the octopi too. On route to Phi Phi.. look out for whale sharks and whales!
Water is a cool 27C. Beer Chang should be consumed below 4C too. Any warmer and it will taste like octopus ink.

I will try a lot of things but I am not trying no stinking octopus ink, thank you! I will take my Chang COLD!!!!!!
I will take the 27c water temps thank you very much!
Saw your earlier post and was thrilled. I am sooooo ready for a vacation!
Going diving here (Northern Californis, USA) at the end of Feb. Expect viz to be 5 feet , if we are lucky and the water temp to be almost as cold as your Chang Beer!!!!!
Thailand here we come!
Susie

Scuba Susie:
I will try a lot of things but I am not trying no stinking octopus ink, thank you! I will take my Chang COLD!!!!!!
I will take the 27c water temps thank you very much!
Saw your earlier post and was thrilled. I am sooooo ready for a vacation!
Going diving here (Northern Californis, USA) at the end of Feb. Expect viz to be 5 feet , if we are lucky and the water temp to be almost as cold as your Chang Beer!!!!!
Thailand here we come!
Susie

It's true about the Chang....folks here routinely put ice in it to keep it cold enough to be palatable, LOL. Personally, I prefer Singha... no need for ice.

Susie, you've probably seen other threads that discuss Andaman water temps and viz. Both are abnormally low for some reason. We can hope for improvement, but then maybe the mantas and other stuff will go wherever the plankton goes when the water clears up and warms up.

Where did you end up booking your hotel stay on Phi Phi, BTW?

Heck, I had no problem drinking Chang or Singha when I was there. However, thanks to my Dutch divemaster Dieke, we were more likely to drink Thai "buckets..." and end up dancing on tables all over town until 3:00 in the morning. Not recommended if you are diving the next day.

Thank you all for the feed back! This is such a great help when planning a trip, you have no idea!

Dr. Bill....pray tell, what's a "bucket" filled with in Thailand?????

Has the viz improved at all near Phi Phi? And are those whale sharks still around? My friend just got a new housing for her underwater camera and I need her to document me next to a big one!!!!!!!!

Thanks again you all!
Susie

Scuba Susie:
pray tell, what's a "bucket" filled with in Thailand?????

Ah, it's a cultural experience not to be missed!

Using a sand bucket or similar, Mekong (a brand of Thai whiskey), Krating Daeng (Red Bull energy drink), Coca Cola and ice are mixed to make a very large, sweet drink that goes down easy. Traditionally, it is shared among imbibers, making getting drunk an even more social event than it might otherwise be (and you never really know how much you've drunk since the buckets keep going around and around).

Hi there - I'm very jelous. I worked on Phi Phi for many years, got caught up in the events of late 2004 but was back in 2005. This is my fist season that I won't be there due to the bith of our baby boy - I'm both happy but sad !!

Send a mail to clare at blue view divers - www.blueviewdivers.com.

Clare is an "old" PPite and runs a shop - Blue view Divers. Really nice shop, fantastic Thai Captain. Lots of knowledge. She'll be able to tell you whats about right now ( it does change year to year) and what the viz is like. Low viz on PP tends only to last for a couple of days whilst the full moon on.

The Shop is small, and concentrates on small groups and local diving knowledge rather than large parties of roudy Swedes.

Whoever you dive with, drop in and chat to Clare and tell her Kep and Laura sent you !! She might even buy you a Singa ! I'm sure she would be very happy to hear Blue View getting a mention here. Diving on PP is not all PP Scuba / Island Divers !

either way please let me know how you get on and send me a mail !

Many Thkx

Kep
ps - avoid the buckets !!! But if you can't, try an after eight bucket from Carlito's - yum yum

Back
Top Bottom