Latex Dryhoods

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

imasinker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I am wondering If many divers use a latex dryhood? I would like to hear pro's and con's, Is it worth using. I have read the latex dryhoods keep your head dryer and warmer, any truth to this?

Thanks All!

I snorkel in the North Sea with a latex dryhood. I like the way my head remains warm when I swim and how I can emerge afterwards with dry hair. Such dryhoods are normally worn with a liner or a wetsuit hood underneath as a too perfect face seal alongside equalisation issues can lead in a worst case scenario to a perforated eardrum.

I've tried Googling and opinion appears to be divided about the benefits and liabilities of a latex dryhood. Here's an online forum thread about dryhoods, where opinions about their advantages and their disadvantages are aired:

Dry Hoods - Northwest Diver Forum

Hope this helps.

My second dry suit had a latex hood. It would seal very well around the face and I never had any leakage. I also found that it seals really good with a full face mask which really keeps me warm because there is far less contact with the cold water. Recently I changed to a neoprene attached hood and I am not as pleased with it. Mainly due to the fact that the face seal opening is too small to seal over with a full face mask. Also you can seal your SCUBA mask over a latex seal where with a neoprene hood you have to don the mask, pull the hood over the mask skirt and then pull the mask straps over your head, real pain.

I love my attached latex hood. I wear my mask over the latex edge to create a better seal since mine has a couple gaps beside my face. I make sure my beanie I wear under the hood for warmth isn't far enough down on my forehead to interfere with the mask seal. My hood does get a bit of air in it since I tend to exhale through my nose a lot but it's easy to burp the air out by turning my head to the side. I wear a neoprene hood over the latex hood to help with burping and as decoration (I have ears on the hood).

I get out of the water with dry hair and I love it. Occasionally I won't get the mask seated right and it will flood but normally that's because the skirt is too close to the beanie under the latex and the seal is breaking. I'm much warmer now that I'm diving with a dry head and much happier too!
Ber :lilbunny:

Hey Ber, I just got a new Extreme with a neoprene hood. So far, except for the full face mask not matching the face opening, it ROCKS! No beenie and dry hair too!

Hey Ber, I just got a new Extreme with a neoprene hood. So far, except for the full face mask not matching the face opening, it ROCKS! No beenie and dry hair too!

Kewl!!!!!! Would my ears fit over the neoprene hood? :dork2:

How does it keep your hair dry since regular hoods don't?

My itty bitty Marine Corps hair cut was dry as a bone when I pulled the hood off. It's glued to the suit like a latex hood and has a smooth skin neoprene face seal that works.

It seems to be pretty thin neoprene material so your ears might fit. Or, just make some with velcro anchors and stick them on when you want to dive. :D

BTW, how's the weather out there, it's like 100+ degrees here today! :11:

My itty bitty Marine Corps hair cut was dry as a bone when I pulled the hood off. It's glued to the suit like a latex hood and has a smooth skin neoprene face seal that works.

It seems to be pretty thin neoprene material so your ears might fit. Or, just make some with velcro anchors and stick them on when you want to dive. :D

Sounds really nice! Do you still have to wear a beanie under it for warmth or does the neoprene take care of that?

BTW, how's the weather out there, it's like 100+ degrees here today! :11:
It's chilly and windy here, highs in the 50's and low 60's and it was WINDY all weekend (30mph or so sustained on Saturday with gusts over 40mph). We had whitecaps on the quarry :confused: Some waves were getting close to a foot tall and they were really close together. I was getting seasick just looking at it :11:

It was 44 degrees on my way to work this morning. BRRRR!

Well, I guess that's why rabbits have fur, or at least our out here do.

Beenie? Nope, not anymore. The neoprene is the insulation with this hood. I do need to make a real dive with it the be sure. I wil get back to you as soon as I do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom