Latex Neck Seal Help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RUFUST

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone here have sugustions to reduce leakage thru a latex neck seal? Having blamed the neo seals I still have leakage with a new suit and latex seals.The shape of my neck and corse stubble must be the problem.Has anyone tried a latex hood or ring tucked in for the latex to seal against? I am open to ideas as cold water is (too quickly) approaching.

well mate, as someone who used to dive in England alot I would say, that the chances of it being your stubble is quite slim, when I had problems with my suit, I used to go into a pool with a mate as a first measure and see if he could see exactly where the leek is! sometimes these things suprise you! Alturnatively put a football in the neck and inflate the suit, use some washing up liquid to look for bubbles. if you still dont find anything then..... well Im not sure, try surgery! lol good luck

There are a couple of options.

I have used a neck warmers made of 3mm or 7mm neoprene that are worn outside the seal. These, if properly sized, which will help the seal stay sealed if the problem is a slightly loose neck seal or if the leak occurs when looking up, etc. (It also keeps your neck warmer.)

I recently saw an add for a similar device that is smooth rubber on both sides with the idea being to wear it between the neck and the seal. They would also keep your neck warmer and eliminate some issues if you have a latex allergy.

I've thought about this product as well (Bioseal). However, they are rather pricey (I think 50 dollars for the neck seal, and 75 for the wrist set) and they degrade latex, but at what rate, who knows...

"While the Bio-Seal was originally designed for use for neoprene seals, it will also make a latex type seal more comfortable and less restrictive. This product does contain oils which can cause early wear in latex type seals. Cleaning the neck seal of your suit thoroughly after each use can help delay this effect." (from above web link)

On the first several dives with my nex-gen I was bone dry. On the last several I've experienced neck leakage and it seems that it's gradually getting worse. On my most recent dive I was wet clear to my crotch. Any ideas of why this is happening? Does the latex stretch enough to cause this?

I had a lot of trouble with my Viking Xtreme leaking and found out it was because they had put a regular neckseal on an XS suit. Bob3 arranged for me to ship the suit off to have a smaller seal put on it and I also opted to have the regular hood replaced with an XS hood. He said I could do the work myself but I'm not that brave so I opted to pay for a pro to do it. If you have never trimmed the neckseal and it leaks I highly recommend putting a smaller seal on it I'm DEFINITELY glad I did.
Ber (starting to love her drysuit) :lilbunny:

This may seem obvious but have you considered a smaller neck seal ?

As for bio-seals, i own the neck one for my old suit and it works just fine and cuts down on leaks (the seal is too loose for me on its own).

Have you made sure the seal isnt folded at all as this can cause leaks?

I dont think its stubble, certainly i never ever shave my neck the day before or day of diving as i find is agony with the latex seal mixed with salt water as im wearing the suit constantly for 8 hours a day and therefore tend to have a fair amount of it about. It doesnt leak.

Do you fold the neck seal "in" as done with neoprene neck seal? By doing so, internal pressure of the suit press the seal against your neck, and you'll have better sealing.

RUFUST:
Does anyone here have sugustions to reduce leakage thru a latex neck seal? Having blamed the neo seals I still have leakage with a new suit and latex seals.The shape of my neck and corse stubble must be the problem.Has anyone tried a latex hood or ring tucked in for the latex to seal against? I am open to ideas as cold water is (too quickly) approaching.

Make sure the seal is flush against your skin, without folding over inward or outward...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom