Law and the distance regarding boats and dive flags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adrisen

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Since reading the posts about what ha been going on at the Morrison and Big Bay Point involving boats and dive flags. The books and courses mention a distance that one should stay away, yet it is not inforced by law. There must be something that can be done. How would we bring this into a law, there must be a way to do it and a place to start. Do we contact a local member of parliment or MP to start? Does anyone have any ideas? Would dive shops promote this idea to get this under way and get involved if it could or can be done.

Fellow divers and boaters what do you think? Is this something that should be looked into and perhaps put into action if it is a possibility.

Does anyone have any statics that can be shown involving boaters and diving accidents that can make an impact?

Ashley

An an MP or MPP is one way. A private members bill is another. Federal would be preferred but you'd be very lucky to get it on a provincial level. Unfortunately, we aren't a big enough group to have much pull with politicians. Boaters outnumber divers by a long shot so if push came to shove, they'd win. Boaters who are fishers won't take kindly to being shoved off a wreck just because there's a dive flag present.

I’m afraid our beloved dive flag is virtually useless as it relates to our waterways in Ontario. A diver will tell a boater that they have to stay at least 100 ft from the marker, but is that realistic? I have dove many times in areas that if we were off shore 70 to 80 feet offshore or in the middle of the river or channel with our flag according to the 100ft rule all, if any boat traffic would not be able to navigate the waterway. I don’t think we as divers have the right to interrupt traffic in this manner. I realize that in this country minority rules but this is going too far. So the question as adrisen asks is what can we do? New laws or regulations are not the answer. The solution as I see it is reporting. If we see a boat, Seadoo or any other watercrafts driving recklessly, dangerously or carelessly near a dive flag try to get the license off the side. If you cant get that then get a description of the craft. Then call the police. If you happen to be diving the Morrison possibly there is a cop in the park. Take the time to call and let the police know what you saw. The more we report the more proactive the police will be. Believe me the police take acts of dangerous driving, negligence or carelessness with any motor vehicle very seriously.

Elevatorguy2:
. . . If we see a . . . Seadoo . . . driving recklessly, dangerously or carelessly near a dive flag . . . .

But that is the whole point of owning a Seadoo! Preferably while under the influence of alcohol. The Seadoo owner's manual has a picture of a dive flag and describes it as a slalom marker. :wink:

theskull

Will the Seadooing brat who stole my flag when I was diving the Morrison this year please return it. Kids who do not have direct supervision on Seadoos while on the water are a dangerous menace to divers and other boaters and the boating card seems to be in there minds authorization to go faster and faster.:no
JD

There is no way to fiscally patrol and issue fines or stop unsafe boaters. Education helps, but lets face it, there are alot of stupid people, lots of them own boats. The police cannot patrol our waters, way too big, Coast Guard has no authority to impose a fine, the navy is not allowed by treaty, plus they suck. Best thing you can do..........hope you don't get hit.

The only time a dive flag or marker.....including the Alpha Flag....... will get any attention by a boater is if it is flown from a larger boat and someone is on the boat to ward off other boaters, other wise the dive flag is a thing to steal or a curiosity to lure stupid boaters in.

Don't fly the thing. Carry a marker bag/buoy and launch in emergency or when surfacing in known boater areas.

bill 1
All shoremasters and boat Captains will now be allowed to carry 50 Cals and are hereby authorized to use them when a boat enters the 100 ft radius of a dive flag.:D

bill 2
Once a diver exits the water he is allowed to wait for the boater to dock and then mow them down with there vehicle preferably running over there head the statement fair is fair must be yelled out the window :confused:

But seriously though As aggrevating as I find boaters and seadoos the only time it realy bothers me is when doing a BOW class . The majority of people who dive are used to dealing with boats and know enough to stay down until its safe to surface. New students who are not used to dealing with this is what scares the hell out of me.

As an instructor Your responsible for your students when they are in the water and its your responsibility to make sure your students do not end up under a boat by pre briefing before entering the water. New divers with new skills to learn in a strange wet environment can lead to situations.

JD

I have surfaced on two different occasions to find boaters putting my flag into their boat like it was some lost treasure for them to keep. Also their is nothing more shocking than having your spool ripped from your hand as a jetskier takes off with your flag. They need to require all boaters to take a test on rules and regulations before they hand over a watercraft.

Back
Top Bottom