Laws, ordinances, rules???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Likes2Cruise

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm about to get my Open Water certification and will be beginning my dive adventures with various spring and beach dives (beginning in the Tampa, Florida area).

I was wondering where to find out information regarding any laws, ordinances, rules, restrictions regarding diving in a particular area?

Are there places where SCUBA diving is not allowed from the beach?
What kind of dive flag is required? Size, how displayed, etc.

Stuff like that.

any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

Welcome to the Board, and good luck on your cert!

You might want to direct your question to the Florida Conch Divers Forum. They will be able to give you better local information. You could also meet some folks to go diving with there, too.

Contact the local Coast Guard station or local police. I know that in Virginia Beach, VA, they specifically prohibit scuba from the shore. Signs are posted. When I questioned them about it, I just got some lame *** response about safety, boats, rip currents. When I pressed it they said to contact my town counsel rep. I don't live there so I don't really care.

Yes, you should be using a dive flag. You will have to check your state's boating regs. They will usually have a section on how big, how to fly it, what to fly it on, how close you have to be to it.

I would suggest that you discuss this with the dive shop you are working with to get your certification. They should be very knowledgable about local diving and would be a very good source to dive with - especially as you gain diving experience... Depending upon conditions - and a whole host of other factors - just walking off a beach and going diving may not be the thing to do.

Cheers,

Likes2Cruise:
I'm about to get my Open Water certification and will be beginning my dive adventures with various spring and beach dives (beginning in the Tampa, Florida area).

I was wondering where to find out information regarding any laws, ordinances, rules, restrictions regarding diving in a particular area?

Are there places where SCUBA diving is not allowed from the beach?
What kind of dive flag is required? Size, how displayed, etc.

Check your local laws. I doubt your police department knows squat. The Marine Police in your area might know something. I doub the coast guard knows any regulations either as they really don't police divers but the boats they are on.

A dive flag is required in most states in any water that is open to boat traffic also. About the only way you can legally get away from not having one is diving in a private lake or a lake/quarry that boating is not allowed in.

Any places that you can't dive? again check local laws. For example where I live I don't think you can dive with X feet of a damn or powerplant. You can't dive the state fishing pier (which is destroyed and no longer enforiced, but still a law), or anyting considered a "cultural resource).

As for most other public waterways (and ocean), public laws protect you diving in most locations. (unless otherwise specified by some law).

Don't expect the average law enforcement officer to know the law. It will be helpful in "pleading your case" to have a printed copy of the law with you in your boat, dive bag, etc.

BTW... as newly certified, I agree with the others. don't just go jumping in the water. go with a dive shop or other experienced divers.

I would agree with the suggestion of checking with the local dive shop. There are those places that have local ordinances prohibiting diving in certain areas. One area that is certain to avoid are military instilations, power plants and dams as they usually have limits on how close you can come on the water.

Congrats ....

The best thing to do when diving in new area is to visit the local dive shop. They are more than happy to help you be in the "know". Plus they'll point you in the right direction.

This is my own opinion and you can check out other dive shops. But while I lived and dove in the Tampa Area, I went through Adventures Under The Sea in South Tampa. Ben and Crew were extremely friendly and they were always happy to have extra diver come out with them and dive while they were doing certifications. You can check with them on the local boating, and diving regs. Yes you need a flag. Ben will keep you current on local regs.

-David Currently in Colorado

Back
Top Bottom