Layering verses Full 5 mm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Is there any difference in warmth between wearing a full 5 mm wetsuit verses layering a 2 mm under a 3. Or if I use a 3 mm shortie under a full 3, would it be essentially warmer or the same as a 5/3. Thanks.

I wish it were that simple. The problem is that the warmth of any wetsuit, or any layering system, is going to have as much to do with the fit of those garments as it does with just the thicknesses.

All things being equal -- good-fit wise -- I generally prefer the flexibility of layering, especially in circumstances where the daytime temperatures might swing, or the dive profiles for different dives during that given day might take me into differing temperature conditions, thermoclines, etc.

It sounds to me like you're possibly trying to avoid the cost of buying a 5-mm wetsuit. If that is your issue, and forgive me for being presumptuous if it's not, and you don't think you'll dive often enough in temperatures to warrant the purchase of a 5-mm suit, then consider renting a 5-mm for a time or two. Let a couple of those rentals inform your future buying decision.

Thanks for the info. I actually ordered 2 different 5 mm and just tried them on yesterday. The Scubapro was very well made but I could not move in it. The Mares 5/4/3 was better but stiil not too comfortable so it got me to thinking of the 3mm shorty and farmer john, and the hotskin in my closet. I tried layering them and it did seem more comfortable and I could move better but I wasn't sure of the effect layering would have on warmth. Think I will go with the layering.

How did you judge the fit of the suits? A wetsuit donned at home once you're all hot and worked up will feel MUCH better in the water and even after you have donned it a few times. If it did not bother you breathing with a tight chest and you had full range of motion it was probably good. If not so the adjust accordingly.More here.

Layering is a nice way to add warmth to your core but doubling up entire suits that fit right will get restrictive. While you are doubling the neoprene you are also adding useless layers of nylon, binding, pads and zippers.

As we head into winter are you sure you don't want to jump to 7mm and think about an in between 5mm latter on? I know you're down the coast but I believe like us in Maine your coldest winter water is still weeks away.

Pete

The scubapro was just too small. I couldnt breath or move, my arms were stuck out. I could not easily lower them to my side. The Mares was a better fit but still felt way too constrictive. Admittedly, i am use to the henderson H2 so almost anything will fill restrictive to me. I do live in NC but primarily dive in florida or the carribean so i dont anticipate needing more than a 5. I am Lso looking at the waterproof w3. I tried a waterproof years ago and again the fit was bad but may be worth another try.

I just switched from a Bare Velocity 3/2 to a Bare Velocity 5/4, and will probably not go back to the 3/2, even though most, if not all, of my diving is in warm water. The 5/4 is very easy to put on, and very flexible both above and under water (not what I expected at all). I used Bare's sizing chart and was very honest in my selection of size (I'm 5'-11"/175#) and bought a Large. The fit is amazing. It may be that you need to try other brands to find one that is comfortable for you.

Had similar problems with suits fitting but not quite right. Answer was a custom from Wetwear. I got the cave/wreck model 3 mil but you can go with the std and you'll still have a better suit than any off the rack one I've seen. And they will add pockets, zippers, and the fit and quality is awesome. Mine is warmer than my BARE 5mm and easily as warm as the 5mm Pinnacle Merino Elastiprene I also have due to the construction and the fit. I'll never buy another off the rack suit.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Neoprene thickness and fit ares important but not the only considerations. Another important feature to the effectiveness of a wetsuit is how well it seals, especially at the neck. If layering compromises the neck seal, it will not be as effective.

That was a problem with the Mares without layers. There is a significant gap at the neck

---------- Post added December 29th, 2012 at 10:30 AM ----------

I looked at Bare but could not find my size in stock. How do i go about looking for a custom suit. Local. Internet.

Sometimes I will put a 3/2mm hooded vest OVER my 7/5mm full wetsuit. It seems to cut the chill, and I don't put it under the wetsuit because it actually feels colder that way. Go figure. The 7/5mm neck seal works fine and the added effect of the hooded vest helps keep water out. The lining of the hooded vest is strange and does not form a good seal with my skin.

Back
Top Bottom