Scubapro Yulex vs. Henderson Greenprene

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm wondering the same thing.

I had one of the old (regular neoprene) 3/2mm ScubaPro Everflex suits that I used for years as my tropical suit. But I need to replace it because I damaged it on a recent trip to Cozumel. I was thinking about trying a Henderson Greenprene 3mm because they are slightly less expensive than ScubaPro, and I wouldn't mind having a full 3mm instead of a 3/2mm hybrid. But I keep reading comments about how extremely buoyant the Greenprene suits are. I don't want to have to increase my lead weights. So then I figured I'd just get another ScubaPro 3/2mm Everflex, but maybe the new ScubaPro Yulex suits suffer from the same defect of extreme buoyancy. Who knows?!

Hint to any sponsored YouTubers: I wish someone would do a real-world buoyancy test comparing the new eco-friendly suits to traditional neoprene suits.

I dove the ScubaPro Everflex Yulex 5/4mm this past weekend in 63 F water. I weigh 185 lbs and used 18 lbs of weight and could descend adequately and didn't feel any extra buoyancy. The interesting thing that I noticed is that everyone else was diving with either a 7mm wetsuit or a drysuit. However, my wife and I (very sensitive to cold) were using our ScubaPro 5/4mm. Our suits are CE rated Class B for 50-64F and I believe that is pretty accurate as we were both comfortable during our dives.
Was this fresh or salt water?

I'm wondering the same thing.

I had one of the old (regular neoprene) 3/2mm ScubaPro Everflex suits that I used for years as my tropical suit. But I need to replace it because I damaged it on a recent trip to Cozumel. I was thinking about trying a Henderson Greenprene 3mm because they are slightly less expensive than ScubaPro, and I wouldn't mind having a full 3mm instead of a 3/2mm hybrid. But I keep reading comments about how extremely buoyant the Greenprene suits are. I don't want to have to increase my lead weights. So then I figured I'd just get another ScubaPro 3/2mm Everflex, but maybe the new ScubaPro Yulex suits suffer from the same defect of extreme buoyancy. Who knows?!

Hint to any sponsored YouTubers: I wish someone would do a real-world buoyancy test comparing the new eco-friendly suits to traditional neoprene suits.
Go aqualock, all moisture wicks to lowest point within minutes. Suit is extremely warm and durable. I don’t personally trust “new” products. Stick with the tried and true neoprene.

Granted I could be wrong and this greneprene could be what everyone uses in a decade. I’ve heard good things about it, except for buoyancy.

Do you know if the Yulex is more, same or less flexible than the original material SP used in this class of suits?
I have a 2/3mm Scubapro Yulex and initially it was much stiffer, but after wearing it half a dozen times, it actually feels a little more supple than a traditional neoprene suit. The cuffs and ankles were quite tight initially, but again have become more flexible, whilst maintaining a good seal.

HTH

Contributing some experience from a recent trip using my new Yulex wetsuit set from Scubapro. This replaced my 10+ year, 3/2mm, Everflex steamer suit.

I used the 3mm long sleeve separates for a liveaboard trip in Palau. I was one of few people diving in a wetsuit. I get cold easily and would rather be warm than cold. I didn’t feel overheated, or cold even after a week of diving. Many folks were complaining and jumping in the hot tub to warm up after diving to help with it on the last couple of days or during night dives. Most people wore long sleeve rash guards, skin suits, or 1mm. One person had a full anime thing going on. White body suit, thigh high leggings, and cat head hoody? If that’s your thing, great. Just looked very uncomfortable with a crotch strap. Lol.

The Yulex suit was an interesting experience and I don’t know if I love it, but I like it enough. Especially if it’s better for the environment, I’m hoping it’s not some green marketing thing. But I do trust patagonia and they’ve been using Yulex and promoting the use for awhile now.

First the buoyancy. It took an extra 2 pounds to help my descent, and get me under water. My first checkout dive, I tried with my usual 12 lbs and couldn’t get down. The dive guide added 3 lbs to the tank for that dive since it was all that was available on the dinghy. For my future dives I took off 1lb and redistributed the extra 2 lbs and stayed at 14lbs. I was unfortunately overweighted for dives after the descent, and had to work with that throughout and at my ascent/safety stop. Kept some air in to prevent having to kick the entire time. Luckily my air consumption hasn’t ever been an issue and I still came up with more air than the rest of the group, despite having to compensate for the weight. Maybe with some practice and use I can drop those two pounds in the future. Fingers crossed.

Donning and doffing. Jacket was super easy! Yay! Pants, I’m gonna email scubapro and check what oil, etc…on what can be used safely with Yulex to help get them on quickly. It was ok, but not as easy as my old neoprene. But, my 3mm was older so I imagine after continued use it may become easier. The pants really stuck to my skin during and after putting them on. I had to keep sticking my hands down to allow some air to continue pulling them up. 10/10 for compression and flexibility once on though. Doffing the jacket was easy. Pants the usual needing to sit down to get them off my feet.

Something I noticed that Scubapro didn’t include was the isafe bands on the sleeve of the jacket. Disappointed in this design choice since I really like it for my computer strap. I noticed the difference as I had to fiddle with it during dives. :(

Overall, I’m happy with my purchase. Except the descent issue, I felt it’s a solid choice for an off the rack suit. I like the flexibility of the suit and the ability to mix and match. It fit well, kept me warm, and the few issues I have, I experience in all suits.

It appears Yulex and Greenprene are a bit more buoyant than neoprene.

I had the same experience with Greenprene, 8 to 10 lbs., other than that, a superb 3 mm full suit. Easy to don and doff, fits well, warm.

irst the buoyancy. It took an extra 2 pounds to help my descent, and get me under water. My first checkout dive, I tried with my usual 12 lbs and couldn’t get down. The dive guide added 3 lbs to the tank for that dive since it was all that was available on the dinghy. For my future dives I took off 1lb and redistributed the extra 2 lbs and stayed at 14lbs. I was unfortunately overweighted for dives after the descent, and had to work with that throughout and at my ascent/safety stop. Kept some air in to prevent having to kick the entire time. Luckily my air consumption hasn’t ever been an issue and I still came up with more air than the rest of the group, despite having to compensate for the weight. Maybe with some practice and use I can drop those two pounds in the future. Fingers crossed.

Perhaps the old suit lost some of buoyancy and the new one is just that, new and hence the added buoyancy?

What I didn't get from your description is the "flexibility" of the suit, is the suit more or less flexible than the old suit?

Perhaps the old suit lost some of buoyancy and the new one is just that, new and hence the added buoyancy?

What I didn't get from your description is the "flexibility" of the suit, is the suit more or less flexible than the old suit?
It's more flexible and compressive, from day 1. Though I suppose a 3mm isn't the best measure for this? I'd like to try on a thicker suit and assess.

For my old suit buoyancy, I was able to use 12 lbs to descend. I'm hoping as it gets older, the new suit will let me drop weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom