Scubapro Yulex vs. Henderson Greenprene

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I replaced my worn out 3 mm full suit about 2 1/2 years ago with a Henderson Greenprene suit. Overall, I like it very much. It is light, stretchy-easy to don and doff, warm, and seems well constructed without any wear or tear to date. The only con is that it is more buoyant than any previous 3 mm full suit I have used. I had to increase my weight 25% from 8 to 10 lbs. Does anyone have experience with a 5 mm or 7 mm Greeneprene suit and can comment on the buoyancy? I would hate to have to increase my weight 25% with one of these suits

Scubapro now has their Everflex Yulex line of wetsuits. Has anyone dived these suits yet and can comment on its characteristics, especially buoyancy?

Thanks in advance

I replaced my worn out 3 mm full suit about 2 years ago with a Henderson Greenprene suit. Overall, I like it very much. It is light, stretchy-easy to don and doff, warm, and seems well constructed without any wear or tear to date. The only con is that it is more buoyant than any previous 3 mm full suit I have used. I had to increase my weight 25% from 8 to 10 lbs. Does anyone have experience with a 5 mm or 7 mm Greeneprene suit and can comment on the buoyancy? I would hate to have to increase my weight 25% with one of these suits

Scubapro now has their Everflex Yulex line of wetsuits. Has anyone dived these suits yet and can comment on its characteristics?

Thanks in advance
I found the 5 mm Greenprene to be super buoyant. Had difficulty getting down, was overweighted at depth, then too light on the rest stop. Purchased the Henderson Aqualock 5 mm and hoping it will suit me much better. Won't get to try it out for a couple of months.

Yep sounds like "greenprene" is Yulex-based. Am considering a 7mm suit made of this stuff (Henderson or Scubapro) for here in the Pacific NW as I have sensitive skin so a natural alternative seems like something to try.

How much bouancy does Yulex suits add compared to Neoprene suits of equivalent thickness and thus extra weight to neutralize it?

I talked to the Scubapro people today (scuba diving expo, the Netherlands) and asked about the Yulex. They said the Yulex suit is as buoyant as the old Everflex suits, but more resistant to pressure because it is not a neoprene (with bubbles that compress), but a rubber. So, Scubapro claims it only has advantages compared to traditional neoprene. Then again, would they be totally honest on the expo floor? I am always a bit skeptical about those things. So I am hoping to hear about some actual experience too about the buoyancy characteristics of the Yulex suits.

I replaced my worn out 3 mm full suit about 2 1/2 years ago with a Henderson Greenprene suit. Overall, I like it very much. It is light, stretchy-easy to don and doff, warm, and seems well constructed without any wear or tear to date. The only con is that it is more buoyant than any previous 3 mm full suit I have used. I had to increase my weight 25% from 8 to 10 lbs. Does anyone have experience with a 5 mm or 7 mm Greeneprene suit and can comment on the buoyancy? I would hate to have to increase my weight 25% with one of these suits

Scubapro now has their Everflex Yulex line of wetsuits. Has anyone dived these suits yet and can comment on its characteristics, especially buoyancy?

Thanks in advance
I use 7mm Greenprene and I have difficulty in descent. At depth, I am fine. It is just near the surface, I cannot descend properly: my legs keep floating up and they prevent my descent. I have to either grab a line or I have to swim downwards headfirst. My instructor does not want me swimming downwards headfirst. I am a beginner, so I might be doing something wrong, but it might be the Greenprene. Or both. I weigh 165 lbs, and I have tried descending with 16 pounds of soft lead, and again with 22 lbs soft lead; even with 22 lbs soft lead, I have the floaty legs problem.

However, I like the Greenprene for the lower environmental impact of its manufacture, so I would like to figure out a way to work around the extra buoyancy that I suspect the suit legs are giving to me.

Hmm, actually there is something that I forgot to do on my last few dives: I forgot to remove air in the legs of the suit before entering the water. I may have had a fold in the suit near the ankles. Maybe that's why I had trouble descending.

I dove the ScubaPro Everflex Yulex 5/4mm this past weekend in 63 F water. I weigh 185 lbs and used 18 lbs of weight and could descend adequately and didn't feel any extra buoyancy. The interesting thing that I noticed is that everyone else was diving with either a 7mm wetsuit or a drysuit. However, my wife and I (very sensitive to cold) were using our ScubaPro 5/4mm. Our suits are CE rated Class B for 50-64F and I believe that is pretty accurate as we were both comfortable during our dives.

I dove the ScubaPro Everflex Yulex 5/4mm this past weekend in 63 F water. I weigh 185 lbs and used 18 lbs of weight and could descend adequately and didn't feel any extra buoyancy. The interesting thing that I noticed is that everyone else was diving with either a 7mm wetsuit or a drysuit. However, my wife and I (very sensitive to cold) were using our ScubaPro 5/4mm. Our suits are CE rated Class B for 50-64F and I believe that is pretty accurate as we were both comfortable during our dives.

Do you know if the Yulex is more, same or less flexible than the original material SP used in this class of suits?

How much weight do you use with other suits?
And did you experience less compression at depth as Scubapro claims?

By the way, I am not calling Scubapro out, I'm just very much interested in this suit and you're the first one who actually dove it...

Do you know if the Yulex is more, same or less flexible than the original material SP used in this class of suits?
I have very limited experience with the two. However, my impression is that the Yulex material is more flexible.

How much weight do you use with other suits?
And did you experience less compression at depth as Scubapro claims?

By the way, I am not calling Scubapro out, I'm just very much interested in this suit and you're the first one who actually dove it...
I didn't take your question at all as calling ScubaPro out. I use 8 lbs with no wetsuit at all. Maybe that will help on the weight question. I don't have a clear answer on the question regarding compression at depth. However, I was diving water that was consistently 63 F and didn't feel a difference in thermal protection whether I was at a shallow depth or at 50-60 ft. I can say that I am very happy with the wetsuit and in fact so happy that I bought a 3mm version as well.

Back
Top Bottom