Layering

What type of layering do you prefer/use?

• Vest with hood

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • Vest without hood

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Short sleeved with hood

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Short sleeved without hood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Long sleeved with hood

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Long sleeved without hood

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... I'm trying to decide on a purchase to prolong the need for a thicker wetsuit.

I use a hooded vest, and it substantially increases the warmth value of my wetsuit.

I have only had a shorty with attached hood and short sleeves. I can tell you that I would prefer it not to have the sleeves. They are a nuisance. I tried someone else's shorty without sleeves and it was way more comfortable as it did not crowd the shoulder area so badly.

Attached hood is nice if you really need warmth but in warm waters beanie would be nicer and enough most of the time. The good thing about attached hood is that you aren't force to use it, just let it flop in the neck. It's little clumsy with necklace reg but you can make it work.

If I was not diving dry, and would buy layering again I would get a sleeveless with hood for the diving I anticipate. If I was going to dive only tropical I'd leave the attached hood off.

... I'm trying to decide on a purchase to prolong the need for a thicker wetsuit.

The thicker the neoprene the harder it's going to be to maintain proper trim and good buoyancy control. It's one one unspoken things that people learn on their own.

I have no idea why dynamic instability of thick neoprene isn't a topic of conversation more often.

It's like one of those tightly kept secrets that only the really informed know about. Not that I'm in that category, mind you. :D

After several days of Caribean diving I usually add a corewarmer to a full 3 mm. I've also taken to wearing a beanie. Aging is ok if you can afford the extras.

I used to layer a 3mm shorty over a 3mm full. Then I bought a 2 piece 7mm. I wasn't fond of that and only used it about a dozen times before buying a dry suit. I now also own a 7/5 full and in colder water I will put a 3mm shorty under it to increase the core protection to 10mm. I've also been known to throw a hooded vest under the shorty and stay really toasty. You can't beat the dry suit, though. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom