LDS pricing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK GUYS ..... Lets look at someone that is doing it right .... SCUBATOYS. They are a "brick and mortar" store located near Dallas. It's a full service dive shop with all the "bells and whistles" that sells merchandise "over the counter" and on the internet. The local shops in their area will match Scubatoys prices without any questions......

IwakuniDiver:
You guys should all feel lucky you don't live in Japan.

LDS's here routinely sell gear for 50-100% markup from MSRP.

Example, a set of Mares Volopower Fins MSRP $169.00 (last I checked) and this shop on Kyushu was selling them for $268.00. I don't think that anyone here would blame me too much for using the internet here.

Scott

This is how things work in Australia, and that is if they sell that item here. We often only get a selected choice of things.
E.g. Mares Proton Ice Extreme is a "special order" here and costs $1495 AUD. Scubatoys has it for $650 USD. Even when you convert you are basically saving half the cost in Aussie dollars.

Most stores down here do not carry more than 2-3 brands of gear and only one or two regs/bcd's. Alot of things are seen thru a magazine the store has.

To who ever said that some stores will not service gear if thought bought on the net or ebay I find that very bad business practice and a bad store. :no .

QUESTION ..... I'M thinking of booking a trip to dive Australia sometime next year. Most of my equipment is fairly new and in great shape. How easy would it be for me to sell my gear after the dive to help pay for the trip?

scubapro50:
QUESTION ..... I'M thinking of booking a trip to dive Australia sometime next year. Most of my equipment is fairly new and in great shape. How easy would it be for me to sell my gear after the dive to help pay for the trip?

If a fair and honest question you are asking, I do not see it being hard for you to sell. Either through the trading post newspaper, a scuba dealer or ebay.
Depends where you are going to be too as well as for how long.
I would try ebay Australia and ship through Australia post.

tracy_from_oz:
This is how things work in Australia, and that is if they sell that item here. We often only get a selected choice of things.
E.g. Mares Proton Ice Extreme is a "special order" here and costs $1495 AUD. Scubatoys has it for $650 USD. Even when you convert you are basically saving half the cost in Aussie dollars.

Most stores down here do not carry more than 2-3 brands of gear and only one or two regs/bcd's. Alot of things are seen thru a magazine the store has.

To who ever said that some stores will not service gear if thought bought on the net or ebay I find that very bad business practice and a bad store. :no .

That is how it is here as well.

Provided that you can even FIND a scuba shop. Luckilly we have our own scuba locker on base but we don't offer retail yet.

Scott

Why can scubatoys be an authorized dealer, have a nice brick and mortar dive shop, and still give great prices, while my LDS has higher prices and complains when people go to scubatoys and buy gear? It's not like I'm going to the Walmart of the diving industry instead of a small mom and pop place. Scubatoys is a dive shop just like all the ones around me, they just decided to go online and have grown into something much bigger than a LDS. Not my problem if Joe and Larry are better at what they do than the owners of my local shops.

ScubaToys are Gods....plain and simple.

Alll hail Joe, Larry, and their full staff of most professional dive industry gurus!!!!!!

Can I get an Amen!!!!!

Actually, I have visited ScubaToys' store in person. My oppinion is that ScubaToys has the all-american mom-and-pop grass roots start. It's not like they are giant corporate monsters. They give great service and I think they are just great people. They are technically proficient at service, also. They teach scuba clasess, and I have heard at least one person rave about the great experience of their OW class.

IwakuniDiver:
That is how it is here as well.

Provided that you can even FIND a scuba shop. Luckilly we have our own scuba locker on base but we don't offer retail yet.

Scott

Surprisingly we have an over abundance, in my opinion, of dive stores in the Sydney region and also the Cairns region, however all still with inflated prices with little brand choice.

I am a member of 2 dive shops in town & you can buy a discount card for 20 bucks a year. Well worth it, air fills are 3 bucks & you get 5 to 10% off retail for being a member. Well worth it.

tracy_from_oz:
Surprisingly we have an over abundance, in my opinion, of dive stores in the Sydney region and also the Cairns region, however all still with inflated prices with little brand choice.

Yes, I can understand that. The same situation as Orlando, FL, USA. There can be a dozen dive retailers, depending on who is starting up or shutting down. On Route 436 five dive stores closed in less than three years. One store did not last six months. Supply and demand, I suppose. The two that I spent good money at are now empty. The idea was supposed to be: "Diver supports store - store supports diver". Well, I did my part. How was I to know their fate?

Diver's Direct has teamed up with Gander Mountain stores, and now has two Orlando locations. It looks like these have staying power.

Happy diving!

Back
Top Bottom