LDS Problem...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

C

ChicagoMermaid

I took my reg into my LDS to be serviced before my last trip (3 weeks ago). I picked it up, peeked in the reg bag, everything appeared to be in order and I left for my trip. Imagine my surprise when I went to use it and found that it had been put on UPSIDE DOWN. :eek: The hose was coming from the left side, and due to a custom mouthpiece, I couldn't exactly use it upside down. I didn't have much choice except to use it with the hose cutting across my throat and practically strangling me as it caught on my BC. Now that I'm back from my trip, I'm going back to the LDS to find out what the hell happened.

How should I handle this? I paid them for a service and not only did they not perform the service properly, they endangered my life as well. Granted, you should always check your gear when you have it serviced, but how often do you hear of someone taking a reg in and getting it back screwed up?!? I've already decided to find a new dive shop, but I'm not sure if I should give these guys hell or just see what they say? I never had problems with them before, but this is kind of a big deal. Any advice is appreciated....thanks.

Originally posted by ChicagoMermaid
Granted, you should always check your gear when you have it serviced, but how often do you hear of someone taking a reg in and getting it back screwed up

You said it. The answer to the question is fairly often.

Tom

Hi CM,
I would go back and point out the problem to them and give them the option of making you happy. Give them a chance to make it up to you. If they don't, go some where else from now on.

On your reg. was the hose screwed into the wrong LP port? Because of poor service, I repair my own regs.
Lloyd

I agree that at least part of the problem is not cecking your reg before accepting it at te LDS. If I was off on a trip before being able to dive the reg I would have put it on a tank in the shop. I really want to know why you didn't just change it to the correct port for your installation? Allen wrench and an open end wrench right? Somebody else on the trip could have helped too...

People do make mistakes.
When I have my gear worked on by anyone other than myself, I check it out before I use it. I don't delegate the responsibility for my equipment to anyone else. I would spend too much time worrying otherwise.

FWIW,

Larry

is the first dive after your gear was serviced.

But to better understand the problem: Are you saying the hose was in the wrong port on the first stage? Or are you saying that the hose was on the wrong side of the 2nd stage - like what can be done with an R190?

If the latter case, I'd be looking for some serious concessions from the LDS.

I'm confuse. You can turn the reg 180 deg, put it back on the tank and what was on the left is now on the right. What kind of reg? If they didn't note which ports things came from they should have asked. Wether they changed it or you did, it would take two minutes. Should not have interfered with your diving.

You said

"I paid them for a service and not only did they not perform the service properly, they endangered my life as well. "

It sounds as if they serviced the reg just fine, they just got the hose switched around. Careless? Most definitely. That big a deal? Not really, make a note to put a set of allen wrenches and a small crescent in your goodie box, you could've handled it in very short order. As far as endangering your life? You obviously were aware of the problem and dove anyway.............you endangered your own life. Am I correct in assuming that you were using a integrated air inflator/back-up reg? I'd give the repair tech a little grief, just cuz i like to.

:wink:

woof

But then again there was a time when i wouldn't have made the hose swap because I didn't understand how the reg worked. So I am not advocating that you try a repair on a piece of life support equipment that you don't understand....just that it is a fairly simple thing to swap a hose to a different port. Have your LDS show you how.

woof

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom