LDS Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasDave

Reaction score
Hello evryone what a great web site! I have lurked and read for some time before posting as my wife and I are new divers.
My question relates to a hotly debatede topic on the board related to LDS. I have found BC at dive shop A reeived a quote plus 10% discount. Went into dive shop B received a qoute for $160.00 less for my BC. What gives?

welcome to the board, Texas Dave. hope you will enjoy.

prices vary widely from store to store, but $160.00 difference on a BC seems a bit
too much. perhaps it was used, one of their "rentals" that they are selling?

H2Andy:
welcome to the board, Texas Dave. hope you will enjoy.

prices vary widely from store to store, but $160.00 difference on a BC seems a bit
too much. perhaps it was used, one of their "rentals" that they are selling?

H2Andy,

The thought crossed my mind. However the BC was removed from the box in front of me. Has the manual and warranty card DS said it was new. Thanks for the reply. If pricing is that much different between the two I think I found a new dive shop.

Just ask the dive shop why it is so much less than retail. They aren't gonna mark the price up if you tell them it's a good deal. It may be a slightly different model, it may be used, the shop may be discontinuing that line, I've seen all of these. I bought a $600 BC for $400 because it was fall and a new style was coming out in a few months. I actually like mine better.

TexasDave:
Hello evryone what a great web site! I have lurked and read for some time before posting as my wife and I are new divers.
My question relates to a hotly debatede topic on the board related to LDS. I have found BC at dive shop A reeived a quote plus 10% discount. Went into dive shop B received a qoute for $160.00 less for my BC. What gives?
What was the BC and do you mind sharing the prices? Perhaps the first store is working on his pension plan or his kid's new braces.

Doesn't surprise me. I would think it was the established shop asking more, and the new one asking less. Or there could have been other factors.

I'd be glad to pay 20% more overall if I had a LDS within 50 miles of my home, but I don't - so I try to educate myself, and then shop on the net only out of necessity. But a funny thing happened to me on a BC buy this week...

I knew that I wanted to move from an Oceanic Probe to the new Probe QLR, $600 retail, $325 Leisure-Pro, then I asked a Calf shop for a quote? $280, and from an authorized dealer! I was on that like a duck on a june bug.

Came in yesterday, took it home and unpacked, and - started missing some things. It was a "Ocean Pro." I was on the phone as soon as they opened this morning!

The supervisor assigned to troubleshoot my complaint said that they carried both, and he'd ship me the Probe QLR - for $535. I told him he must know that I could buy that at L-Pro for $325, and he agree to meet the price. Then I told him I needed it no later that 7 days from now, and - he admitted to not having it in stock, but if Oceanic would overnight it to him, he'd overnight it to me, for the same money. I agreed, advising I knew he'd lose money, but we'd both remember this. He called back an hour later saying he couldn't make it; bought it at L-Pro.

I shipped the cheaper BC back, attention the fellow I'd worked with today, with a missive advising: "I didn't know that they carried 2 BCs that sound alike, but the salesman did, and should have confirmed the order by spelling P-R-O or P-R-O-B-E. Since the mistake was at his end, I wanted a refund including shipping." We'll see...??

I bought a seaquest pro QD. Tag said $475 on the box owner said she could do better. Qouted me $409. THe DS I got certified at quoted me $588 with 10% discount $539. Math of a little earlier but never the less a $130 difference. I typically by local and don't begrudge places a profit but that seems strong.

DandyDon:
Doesn't surprise me. I would think it was the established shop asking more, and the new one asking less. Or there could have been other factors.

I'd be glad to pay 20% more overall if I had a LDS within 50 miles of my home, but I don't - so I try to educate myself, and then shop on the net only out of necessity. But a funny thing happened to me on a BC buy this week...

I knew that I wanted to move from an Oceanic Probe to the new Probe QLR, $600 retail, $325 Leisure-Pro, then I asked a Calf shop for a quote? $280, and from an authorized dealer! I was on that like a duck on a june bug.

Came in yesterday, took it home and unpacked, and - started missing some things. It was a "Ocean Pro." I was on the phone as soon as they opened this morning!

The supervisor assigned to troubleshoot my complaint said that they carried both, and he'd ship me the Probe QLR - for $535. I told him he must know that I could buy that at L-Pro for $325, and he agree to meet the price. Then I told him I needed it no later that 7 days from now, and - he admitted to not having it in stock, but if Oceanic would overnight it to him, he'd overnight it to me, for the same money. I agreed, advising I knew he'd lose money, but we'd both remember this. He called back an hour later saying he couldn't make it; bought it at L-Pro.

I shipped the cheaper BC back, attention the fellow I'd worked with today, with a missive advising: "I didn't know that they carried 2 BCs that sound alike, but the salesman did, and should have confirmed the order by spelling P-R-O or P-R-O-B-E. Since the mistake was at his end, I wanted a refund including shipping." We'll see...??

Hmmm, $409 is only 6% over L-Pro. For home town service, a bargain to me.

$539 is 40% more than L-Pro, but - the LDS lost money doing your OW training, I guess. Still sounds a bit much...??

Ask the training shop for a better price. Explain that you feel you owe them for training you so cheap, but - maybe not that much? Or, did you already buy it, and from which?

Bottom line is a judgement call, huh? :54:

BTW: Welcome to SB! You might click onto http://www.scubaboard.com/f19.html and Introduce yourself so we can greet you properly...

don

DandyDon:
Hmmm, $409 is only 6% over L-Pro. For home town service, a bargain to me.

$539 is 40% more than L-Pro, but - the LDS lost money doing your OW training, I guess. Still sounds a bit much...??

Ask the training shop for a better price. Explain that you feel you owe them for training you so cheap, but - maybe not that much? Or, did you already buy it, and from which?

Bottom line is a judgement call, huh? :54:

BTW: Welcome to SB! You might click onto http://www.scubaboard.com/f19.html and Introduce yourself so we can greet you properly...

DandyDon,

The other dive shop didn't total get away without a walletectomy. (I'm a nurse that"s a technical term) My wife and I bought regulators at the shop we took lessons at. Lessons were $160 per person. We have bought 2 of everything including masks, fins, snorkel and regualtors so for we spent about $1500 with the shop. The shop was recommended by a friend and we used them. Today we were out wondering around Houston and wound up in another dive shop. Price was better sold. It's a tough market I feel I have been fair with everyone. If the dive shop I started with can't compete with other dive shops so be it. I don't feel I have short changed them by shopping the net.

It's a tough market I feel I have been fair with everyone. If the dive shop I started with can't compete with other dive shops so be it. I don't feel I have short changed them by shopping the net.

HOw much does that shop on the net charge for air fills??

Be careful most "net shops" use their "own" warranty. The mfg has nothing to do with them. Their goods are often time grey market, seconds etc.
BTW: who u gonna get to service those things?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom