LDS Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have to look at the whole range of services you get, then decide if it's worth it to you.

Is it worth paying someone an extra $100 - $200 on a piece of equipment? That depends on what you expect in return.

I routinely pay pretty close to list price at my local LDS. Sure, I can get whatever I want cheaper on the net, but by supporting my LDS, I also get phenominal service, pretty much whenever I need it. Air fills while I wait? Sure! Adjust my regulator before a dive? No problem! Give me a spare computer to use while mine is being fixed? Absolutely!

I'm happy to support a local business and don't mind paying top dollar for the stuff I buy because I'm also getting first class service on everything else.

In fact, if I got similar service from my car dealer, I'd pay them list price too. How would you like a car dealer that picked up your car at your house in the evening, fixed it overnight while you slept, and quietly returned before morning?

People are always looking for the absolute best price because that's the only component of an item's value that they've been trained to compare.

Terry

TexasDave:
Texasdave here,
People pay attention these were both DIVE SHOPS. I was just mystified that there could be such a difference in prices.
I don't really care what there mark up is. I wasn't internet shopping. Okay a littel guilty about going to another shop.
Just curious as a new diver why such a spread in the dive
shops. If this is normal among the shops then I just need to be a little more particular about which LDS I chose.

Well I have learned what I need to know. Thanks for the information. Many people here don't read the post they only respond to what they think they have read. These are both dive shops locally owned an operated. I could have just as easily walked into either one and started doing business. I have people saying what about air, what about service, what about... can you get it on line. My question was fairly simple is there that much pricing difference in dive shops. I value the extra service my local Ford dealership provides me. When I need to have the car serviced he provides me a loaner for the day. However, his oil change on my F-350 is the same as the one who doesn't provide me a car up the road guess who gets my business. He also encourages me to price shop him on the new cars he has yet failed to beat any deals I have brought him. I have purchased 7 cars from him in the last 5 years counting the ones I have purchased for the company.
Good luck to everyone!

Web Monkey:
You have to look at the whole range of services you get, then decide if it's worth it to you.

Is it worth paying someone an extra $100 - $200 on a piece of equipment? That depends on what you expect in return.

I routinely pay pretty close to list price at my local LDS. Sure, I can get whatever I want cheaper on the net, but by supporting my LDS, I also get phenominal service, pretty much whenever I need it. Air fills while I wait? Sure! Adjust my regulator before a dive? No problem! Give me a spare computer to use while mine is being fixed? Absolutely!

I'm happy to support a local business and don't mind paying top dollar for the stuff I buy because I'm also getting first class service on everything else.

People are always looking for the absolute best price because that's the only component of an item's value that they've been trained to compare.

Terry

I agree with you. The problem I have is being lied to because someone wants to make a higher profit. For example... I am looking to buy a complete set of equipment from snorkel to BC and everything...everything in between. I know that even if the prices are marked down to compare with, not even match LP or scubatoys that they are still going to make a profit. In todays day and age it is easy enough to research prices on the net.
Example.....
LDS-A quoted me a price for the basic BC, REG, Octo, and Computer. LDS-B quoted me a price about $150 over LP. Not bad. LDS-A tried to give me the run around by discreditinig LDS-B and told me that sherwood just came out with a new line and that LDS-B must be selling me a used item or an older one. Last I checked the AVID hasn't been new for a little while. Then LDS-A continued to tell me that ALL internet shops are not authorized dealers. I informed them that there where three that I could mention that are willing to cut the profits for the buisness. Its not the $200 difference that was bothering me (although now we are looking at $400 over LP) it was the lying and blamming the prices on the manufacturer. Ohh, by the way LDS-A could not budge on the price untill I tried to add a different computer to the package and then all of a sudden Oceanic limits the retail sales mor than Sherwood.

I think that LDS should start to realize that they need to meet new divers halfway to retain the business.

-Joe

njrn2:
I agree with you. The problem I have is being lied to because someone wants to make a higher profit.

There's nothing wrong with profit. It's whay they use to pay the guy who fixes the air compressor, and keeps the lights on.

Then LDS-A continued to tell me that ALL internet shops are not authorized dealers. I informed them that there where three that I could mention that are willing to cut the profits for the buisness.

For some products, that's correct. I have no idea about Sherwood's policies.

LDS-A could not budge on the price untill I tried to add a different computer to the package and then all of a sudden Oceanic limits the retail sales mor than Sherwood.

I think that LDS should start to realize that they need to meet new divers halfway to retain the business.

If you don't like them don't use them.

All I was saying was that I have no problem paying pretty close to list price in exchange for great service.

I won't used businesses that treat me poorly.

Terry

This thread seems to be a reincarnation of earlier threads of the type "LDS vs LP"...
To answer Texas Daves question:
Yes, prices do vary significantly between shops (thats my experience anyway).
If this is because some shops are better at getting good deals from suppliers, because they have greater volumes or for some other reason depends on the individual shops involved in the comparison.

My feeling is that once you decide what product (and services) you want to buy and what YOUR target price is and you have a few offers that meet these requirements you go back to the top three shops and tell them what they need to do to get your service. The one who does best gets your money.

That is not unfair, IMO, and certainly not uncapitalistic (if capitalism is something to strive for) in fact its about as capitalistic as you can get. Sometimes you need to look at the big picture and decide how your choice will affect other future purchases but other than that, pay as little as possible for as much as possible and feel good about it when you "get" a good deal (you´ve earned it by hard work). Guilt trips and arguments about "the american way of life" (and other ways of life) dont seem to matter when you buy a japanese car or shop at wal-mart, why should it bother you when you don´t use your LDS?! Your LDS is just another brand and if you dont like what it represents then dont shop there

Dive safe and often!

Web Monkey:
There's nothing wrong with profit. It's whay they use to pay the guy who fixes the air compressor, and keeps the lights on.

Actually revenue does those things. Profit is what you have after all that has occurred.

Thanks everyone for all the view points. I have purchased all my equipment from dive shops and do not regret any decisions made. I will continue to shop the local shops
however, the shops will have to compete with one another they do now regardless of my decisions. As time goes on one our the other will become my primary shop. I just didn"t realize with what I had been reading on the board about how tight of reins the manufacturers hold that there would be a variance of more than about 5% from shop to shop. Not counting closeouts and discontinued items.

Wanting to support a LDS, and giving up on the one I've tried to use for the last year, I started at the other one close enough to call local - sorta'. Told the owner that I wanted to trade with her, particpate in their trips, count on them for additional training and the training of friends, but - that I often buy on the net because they're an hour's drive away and close before I could be there. She offered to stay late or reopen when I'm going to Lubbock!

Then, I asked her if she could cut me a deal on a Sealife DC310 camera? She knew I could buy from Divers Direct for $500 + shipping = $513, while she had it marked for $600 + taxes = $647. "How much if I pay Cash, no credit card?" She cut it to $550 + tax = $593.

I'm thinking, good effort, good precedent for the future, only 16% more, local service, and I won't feel bad taking the camera on our group trip to Belize, then asking for help. Mailed the check, asked my daughter to pick it up.

:54: Well, I think I made an effort.

Back
Top Bottom