LDS regulator purchase highlight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

locker

Registered
Reaction score
Hello guy's and gal's. I have read everything I could on the LDS verses online purchasing here at ScubaBoard and I learned quite a bit about the many pros and cons of each place. Today I bought my first ever regulator which is a Apeks ATX50 at the LDS. It was stickered at $500 and I asked for and recieved the 10% discount. I also took the advice of many of you and discussed the possability of other things he could do for me to sweeten the deal. He was more then willing to do so and I will get my advanced certification class for free and a break on my tanks and possibly more. The moral of the story is, good dive shops will work with you and want your business and they are constrained by price limits imposed on them. So I paid $475 for a good regulator with a advanced cert. class and probably more. Since the best ATX50 price I found was $394 at LP which is not a licenced dealer I think I did pretty good. You never know what you can get until you ask. Now I just need an octo and a console of some sort. Happy diving and purchasing all. Bye.

Its the value equation that matters, as I've pointed out repeatedly.....

It was made to work for you. The LDS got a sale, you got your product. Everyone's happy with the deal. All's good with the world :)

I hope the class is as good as the regulator. The reg cost the LDS (about) $250 so the total to the shop is $225. That represents the shops return on the reg and the class. If they are paying an isnstructor, how much? Around here we get $175 for an advanced class. It amount to very cheap training. Personally if the equipment manufacturer wants to use my classes to sell their regs they need to sweeten the pot a little because I can sell my classes without the overhead of a shop and the work and investment of peddling the manufacturere's products. Then instead of paying the rent, taxes, insurance (and so on) with the cash you drop I can call it pay and put in my pocket. I hope it works ok for you and the shop.

I just got back from upgrading my reg to a M25/600 and have a similiar experience.

Been shopping around for awhile for a new reg. Well I live in the Dallas area and my LDS also happens to have a very competitive web site (scubatoys.com). However, in order for them to get a contract with ScubaPro, they are not allowed to sell the SP regs on their website.

Well I was in market for new reg + oct, new henderson hood, and another signaling Buoy. Went to LP and priced it out including shipping. Then went to my LDS. Larry (the owner) explained the whole SP pricing strategy and could only give me 10% of a discount on the SP. But he said he could cut me deals on the oct (I wanted the Dacor Viper), hood, and buoy.

Comparing everthing, buying from my LDS cost me about $50 more. But that $50 bought me a lifetime warranty for the regs.

So there are some good LDS out there and I am fortunate to have one in my area.

Back
Top Bottom