LDS - They have a bad attitude.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad I'm not the only one surrounded by dive shops like this. I had a post in the Whine and Cheeze forum about my LDS's. There are 4 in my area, one that has no interest in having anyone in their shop, another where they're super rude and won't budge on prices, another near where I work that has ONE guy who is interested in actually selling something and a fourth that is just too far away. It kind of sucks, especially since there is some great diving around here.

Kristopher

@Codiak - Well I am not sure it is up to me to assist him in making his sale. For instance the shop I used to go to in CO always says hi when I walk in. If they are busy they would say be with you in a few mins. When ready they would say how can I help you. I state what I am looking for. If they did not have it they would offer to order it. If they could not order it they would say we don't have that but what are you looking to do and then show me alternatives they do have in stock.

You are right. I did know the exact setup I wanted but that is not to say he could not have made a case for something that was on hand and sold me. Also he is a scubapro dealer so I am not sure why he did not offer to order the Luna for me?

I agree customer service is often lacking in dive shops but your attitude will show through as well. The fact that you already feel like you're getting a bad deal by buying in a shop for "20% more for face to face" probably is apparent to most shop owners/employees even if you don't intend it to be.

I find this attitude a lot when I go into shops because I simply don't care if they want my business or not. I will gladly have discussions about my used 15 year old computer and regs and ask questions. People who don't give me a hard time about them will get my business. People who do give me a hard time will not. (Of course I have at least a dozen shops within a 30 minute drive from my house or office so it's an easier choice for me.)

It may not be your job to help him make a sale but the attitude barrier is a two way street. I like Codiak's suggestion, start with some basic questions that don't imply you know exactly what you want and you aren't entertaining other options and I think you'll get much less attitude.

Still not a valid reason to behave that way. A good businessman/salesman would try to be helpful even if he didn't have what the customer wanted. I may be window shopping today but may come back and buy something later if I am treated right.

Exactly! I'm one of the lucky ones that has a very good LDS, and I give him the vast majority of my business. We've had several discussions about the online topic, and his philosophy is to help everyone regardless of what he "thinks" their intentions may be. Over time, he has become pretty apt at spotting online shoppers that are only using him as a fitting room, but he still provides the same level of assistance as he would anyone else. Sometimes he'll see them again...sometimes not. Sometimes they'll come back in expecting him to support something they bought online, but the line he carries provides no warranty for gray market items purchased online. He will politely inform them of the warranty situation, and offer to take care of the issue at his normal non-warranty fees. Sometimes they understand...sometimes they get pissy about it...but, I've never seen him adopt a poor attitude with them. Guess what...he has a very successful inland dive shop business...go figure. :wink:

All I can say is that Movieflick epically failed that customer encounter.

How did I fail? Is it not ok to ask specific questions? Do I have to walk in acting like a lost puppy dog that needs someone to guide them to get good service?

One thing the internet has done is educate divers way more and very quickly on many different aspects of diving including gear, best prices, different dive techniques and camps, etc.
The dive shops once relied on blissful ignorance of the consumer and they could get away with telling them that their brands were the best and everything else was junk, and the dive agency they certified students through was the best. They could also get away with telling people that the price was the price.
Pre internet you'd have to see a price advertised in the back of a magazine then call that shop where ever it was and order it. You had to rely on the person on the other end to tell you about what you were buying. Before magazine ads you went into the LDS and all aspects of the dive business went through them almost 100%. I say almost because there were some mail order back then.
Now every manufacturer has a site and online dealers have extensive review pages where consumers can compare prices and features.
It sounds like this guy was just intimidated by you because he knew you knew what you wanted and what you were talking about.
Or maybe he was just a jerk?

... on the other hand, Waynne, you're one of only a few shops in the greater PS area that I'd send folks to ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

No finer compliment than that could be had my Friend. Thank you very much Bob, I'll do my best to never disappoint or make you regret doing so.

Still not a valid reason to behave that way. A good businessman/salesman would try to be helpful even if he didn't have what the customer wanted. I may be window shopping today but may come back and buy something later if I am treated right.

Depends on your definition of valid. Business owners are free to set their own rules, for the most part. It may not be a smart way to run a business ... and it may cost them customers ... but it's still their choice.

We have a shop in our area who has asked several divers to leave his shop and not return because he found out they were buying stuff on the Internet. Personally, I don't think it's a smart way to run a business ... but it's his business, and his call how to run it. I know quite a few people who are incredibly loyal to that particular shop. I know an almost equal number of people who won't go near the place. Bottom line is that he's decided to pick and choose who he does business with ... which as a business owner is his right to do.

Maybe if people would quit using shops as "dressing rooms" to go get all the right information they needed to make their Internet purchases, things like this would happen less. You can fault the shop owners all you like, but when they spend an hour or more of their time making sure you've got the information you need to purchase the right gear ... only to find out later that you then purchased it from an Internet site to save some $$ ... then they have a justification for treating you like you're wasting their time (because you are).

Sometimes it falls back on the customer. Using a dive shop for sizing information when you know you're gonna purchase from an Internet site ain't cool ... but a lot of people do it anyway. So in that respect, there's two sides of this story that need to be examined. Customer relations is a two-way proposition ... and the customer ain't always right ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

We have a shop in our area who has asked several divers to leave his shop and not return because he found out they were buying stuff on the Internet.

Nothing like losing one sale and following it up to make sure that you lose ALL potential future sales. :shakehead:

Nothing like losing one sale and following it up to make sure that you lose ALL potential future sales. :shakehead:

Tell me about it ... I'm one of those people who won't go near the place. And I tend to buy locally.

I used to refer students to that shop for gear purchases, since I'm an independent instructor and he tends to carry brands that I would recommend. But then I found out he was sniping my students by offering them follow-on classes at reduced prices. And THEN I found out he was bad-mouthing me to my students, and telling them I violated NAUI S&P's (which is a complete fabrication).

I never said the guy was an astute businessman ... only that it's his choice to run his business that way. I no longer refer people to his store, nor will I ever purchase anything there. He seems to be OK with that ... and I certainly am.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom