LDS vs. Internet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DayBob

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I couldn't find it so I apologize in advance.

I can save $500 or more buying online vs. my LDS. The sites I'm looking at are approved by the manufacturer for sales. Why shouldn't I buy online?

Thanks in advance.

Alot of people pay the extra money just to suppose there LDS, you can save money by buying online, but if you dont have another LDS close and they go out of business your kind of screwed, you wont anywhere local to have your gear serviced, get air fills, pick up more gear etc. i definatly understand where you come from but some people just prefer to buy from there LDP, decision is completely up to you.

Appreciate the answer. I'd like to keep my money local but the deal I can get online is very attractive. If the dealer I get it from online is an authorized dealer is there any problem with the manufacturer's warrenty for parts replacements during annual maintenance from a local shop?

Taking a chance, I brought a screen shot of a product I wanted to buy (with price clearly stated on it) to my LDS. I simply asked them "How close do you think you can get to this price?".

To my astonishment, they matched it, and didn't even include shipping.

Be prepared to get "the wrath" from the LDS as internet sales are the bane of their existence.

Thanks Cra, wanted to do that myself but I'm a big wuss. I know the online dealer is reputable (I asked Oceanic) but I'm worried I'll give up some local support. Will an LDS refuse to service equipment they haven't sold and will I lose the free parts replacements? i don't think so but I hate to give that up for a cheaper online sale.

When you take the equipment that you bought online to your LDS for sevice, the LDS may sugest that you have your service done by the online store that you purchased it from.:depressed:

I'd buy online and spend the savings at your LDS. Win for three parties involved. But I don't care about manufacturer warranties one bit; I kind if think of them like taking out insurance against a dealers ace at Blackjack. And as far as the free service kits for life debate goes, usually the savings will easily buy a decade worth of service kits. Especially since most divers don't need to have their regs serviced annually anyway. Furthermore, if you miss an annual service now your paying for the kit anyway. Too me it's a no brainer.

Exactly. Does that happen or do LDS's honor the parts for life that the manufacturer promises just to get the work? I have paid my LDS a lot for personal gear and training and I plan to pay more for more training which an internet provider can't supply.

You might make your LDS owner cry??....

The only difference between buying through a reputable site that's an official dealer VS a LDS
is that you can try the equipment right away before buying at the LDS.
I understand the urge to save money by buying on the internet.
It's really your choice. I'm sure the LDS understands your need to save money.

Now if you continually buy everything online then that's a different story.
If you want to support your LDS then support it. How you do that is up to you.

Me personally, I chose to sacrifice about $200 to buy all my hard equipment from the LDS.
Now even though I tried on different styles and sizes of BC, I got a BC they don't carry in stock, and it was too big.
Did a pool dive with it and decided out I didn't like it (inflator leak and a bit too big).
They talked to the manufacturer and I got the smaller size.
Then the manufacture botched my octo integrated inflator and my integrated weight pockets.
4weeks and two shippings later I got my BC back.
I don't wanna tell you how I would have felt had this been an online dealer.

Long story short $500 is a great savings. If you wanna support your LDS but save money as well, I would just buy small things from them
ie. save a dive kits, snorkels, clips, retractors, slates etc.
Taking classes from them makes them happy as well ;D

Back
Top Bottom