LDS -vs- Online purchases

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow you can be quite the dramatic and creative writer when you need. So I will gladly buy all of my product from the place that I deem fit to earn my purchase. Maybe I will buy from a hardware store (try giving your head a shake - it may help you process info better)?? I will do my research and send cheques payable to whomever offers ME the best VALUE. This means before, during and after the sale. Not someone like you that will overcharge someone (as you stated) just because the sale was not their own. If an LDS cannot offer ME the best VALUE then they lose (and if you are as obtuse as you seem, value does not equal only price).

As for Scuba Steve's comment about not doing business with me... he's exactly the type of customer no one wants... He wants things below cost... and no one, not a LDS or online business can stay in business with customers like him. As he notes... he buys from hardware stores and places going out of business when they're selling below cost. If that's all he can afford... I respect that... but don't bad mouth me because you're a cheapskate, because that fact is - if you buy from anyone other than Off the Wall Scuba (in the scuba industry - anyday of the year) - you'll pay to much!

Cheers

Posted via Mobile Device

Millions of divers all over the world are learning the advantages of the Nitrox snorkel. Snorkel longer and feel better.

I skipped the Nitrox Snorkle and went straight to the "rebreather" snorkle.

1694421727_3b2761b8f3.jpg

I agree with you when the price difference is that big but up to 20% more in LDS it is acceptable for me so to cover warranty and other extra services from tehm.

Yeah that's, in my opinion, a very acceptable mark up..

What if I find negotiating price to be distasteful. I really don't like the rejection when they say "no, we can't match the price" (or even come close). Why should I put myself in the position of being humiliated for asking? Or harangued when I walk out and order it online? Why put myself through all that?

I just buy what I want, where I want, when I want. Sometimes it is the lowest price, sometimes not.

I don't worry about air. I'll just buy a compressor.

Richard

Sometimes you just have to put on your poker face and hit them up. It's all business, both ways. You could also ask them, "If I buy this at your MSRP then could you throw this other item in the deal". You have to work them like they work you. If they don't want to deal then tell them they leave you with no choice but to shop online.

Example: Say you want a new steel tank. Tell them they have a deal if they throw in a couple free air cards. They may say I can do one but not two. That's still like getting $50 off and not a hard cost on their end.

Example: Say you want a new steel tank. Tell them they have a deal if they throw in a couple free air cards. They may say I can do one but not two. That's still like getting $50 off and not a hard cost on their end.

That also gets you back into their shop before/after every dive where you could buy new accessories, a new wetsuit, a regulator like the guy you saw at X dive site, etc.

giving a free air card with a tank to me is a great loss leader to get someone who dives back into your store, where they are likely to spend more money each visit.

How bout this thought -

LDS - I dive alot. I have alot of friends. I have children that in the future will be old enough to dive (they dive now).

Lets make a deal - Be fair to me, and I'll be fair to you. I have money and you have things I want to buy now and in the future. Don't gouge me, and be fair. I will spot check things from time to time before I buy, and will let you know it. I understand you do not have the buying power (tiered discount structures) of some of the mega stores. But a 5-10% difference is different then a 30-40% difference. One I can understand, and one I cannot.

The above understanding was reached with a dive shop owner over 18 years ago. I was in their 2 weeks ago, got myself a coke out of the refrigerator back in the repair table and fill station area - shot the BS for about 20 minutes, got some stuff and a little friend of the dive shop discount and headed out on my way.

Over the years he has received payment for 4 for my family and 12+ different set-ups diving gear packages from various people, probably some 35-40 direct students, indirect students & Sales ???, and who knows how many dive trips, additional class, or airfills have been done.

All from a simple understanding between two people

very nice post--

I believe most local dive shops CAN get pretty darn close to internet prices if they want to. I have one LDS 15 minutes from me where the prices are SKY HIGH. We're talking almost $300 for an AL80 (with bells and whistles - boot, net, cap).... Then I have a NOT so LDS about 2 hours from me who sells the exact same AL80 setup for $168... How does he do it? The not so LDS owner told me " I aint doin' it to get rich...."

This seems to be a sore subject on this board. LDS owners losing a sale and being P.Oed at customers finding better deals online, Not honoring warranties etc. This is just bad all arround for our sport. I think all the animosity could be avoided if we as customers give our LDS's the opportunity to match the online price! In my experience I have found if my LDS couldn't match the price, They would make other deals where they could Con. Ed, Trips etc. Put the ball in their court if they won't work with their local customers, They have no one to blame but themselves when their store is empty.

Nevermind the old LDS vs Internet battle... the new battle is SCUBA Diving vs the Lack of Consumer Spending

The Scuba Industry was already dying a slow death... for more reasons than I have time to reiterate here... then along came the current economic situation and the lack of consumer spending... not quite the final nail in the coffin... but the box of nails is definitely getting empty.

Dive shops across the country are closing fast. Some of it has to do with the internet, some with just poor business plans (or no plan at all,) but most because of the lack of consumer spending. Think about it... if big retailers are closing, you can only imagine what the little guys are doing - they're closing and running.

Recent lending freezes have crushed small business in this industry and in many others. Many Scuba Manufacturers will likely be gone by year end 2009 or 2010 at the latest. Many already have trouble filling orders.

Worse is that many manufacturers are dumping goods to internet retailers for pennies on the dollar instead of offering them at those same prices to their local dealers. The manufacturers hold the future of the industry in their own dying hands.

It appears most of them have decided to drag the LDS's down with them instead of throwing them a lifeline. I say to the manufacturers... instead of dumping to the big boys... spread your closeout inventory out among your LDS's... give them a chance to survive... even if you can't.

As for you the public... support for ANY scuba business is vital...be they your local shop or favorite online seller. Believe me - none of them are breaking the bank right now... Support who you can afford to support... and keep diving!

Worse is that many manufacturers are dumping goods to internet retailers for pennies on the dollar instead of offering them at those same prices to their local dealers. The manufacturers hold the future of the industry in their own dying hands.

It appears most of them have decided to drag the LDS's down with them instead of throwing them a lifeline. I say to the manufacturers... instead of dumping to the big boys... spread your closeout inventory out among your LDS's... give them a chance to survive... even if you can't.

Yeah, but I'll bet the big retailers take it off the mfgrs hands in fairly big lots including a wide variety of goods making those deals much more efficient.

I work at a shop in Seabrook Tx, we have a growing clientel. We match online prices everyday. Just part of the gig... All of our prices are clearly marked so theres no surprises. All we need is proof that someone else has something that we offer at a certain price and we're usually all over it... The thing that terrifies me is what one of the earlier posters had to say about being scared to mention it for fear...
Thats really sad that someone would run any kind of business in that manner, after all, this industry is all about customer support and being able to sell FUN... When people quit buying from their LDS, the LDS suffers to the point of failure. If that happens, where are you going to get air and other things, online? If you have several LDSs around then maybe having one of them go down won't effect you, but I've seen the mentality of some who thought they had the market cornered for a specific area. I guess all I'm trying to say is not to be scared to ask, if they treat you poorly, then switch..

Back
Top Bottom