LDS vs Online Shopping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

New Tec2g computer from Liesurepro $250 (shipping ended up being $10 an item as I bought a few things)
New Tec2g computer from LDS $936

:shakehead:

Should this thread be closed?

Seems like the topic has been well addressed. IMHO the ensuing "commentary" can offer nothing more to what has already been posted as an answer to the OP's original question.

I dont think argument has anything to do with LDS at all. The argument, at its core, is all about supporting local businesses (regardless of what they are) vs big chain brand stores. There are people that swear by little shops and it seems that vast majority chooses the opposite because of convenience. Internet is no different. There is no difference between chain brand store and the internet and the local business products because all of them get their products from the same warehouse.

Here is an example (not dive related). I buy friskies canned cat food, tidy cats cat litter and progresso/cambells soups all the time. By buying all of those in my local grocery store I end up spending 45 dollars per week purchasing all of the above. Likewise if I drove 2 miles down the road and bought same exact products at walmart I would spend 30. Buuuut if I drove back and visited my local mom/pop pet store same exact cat food and cat litter would cost me additional 10 dollars. By shopping at walmart I save myself about 400-500 per year in above mentioned products.

Likewise I make similar decisions about my scuba gear.

When I got certified I purchased all of my gear from LDS. It was not until 6 months later that I learned that I overpaid by more than 700 dollars for same exact gear I could have bought from scuba.com It was then when I completely switched gears and started shopping online first and then at my lds second. Things that require fitment (ie mask +wetsuit) get purchased from lds while everything else gets ordered from adorama.com and scuba.com

But to each is own. I am just not that rich to not be doing my research first.

Should this thread be closed?

Seems like the topic has been well addressed. IMHO the ensuing "commentary" can offer nothing more to what has already been posted as an answer to the OP's original question.

Should it be closed? Will anything be solved by keeping it open? Will anything be solved by closing it?

Closing threads is typically seen as stiffeling commentary and the free exchange of ideas. Closing threads is normaly reserved for threads that have become total flame wars. We aren't at that point yet. Discussing flaws or strengths in other's statements is the nature of debate.

I buy from both. When I purchased my bp/w I brought it to my lds attention that it was $400 cheaper online he was able to price match and took an extra $30 off. Also my lds has tolD me to buy some stuff online (tanks) because they would have to purchase such a large quanity to justify shipping.
So I close in saying just be honest with them and if they are a good shop they will be honest with you.

P.S. And now I don't pay for air fills, and get pool time pretty much any time I need.
But have spent quite a bit of money in my lds.

Should it be closed?
:thumb:

Will anything be solved by keeping it open?
:thumbs_down:

Will anything be solved by closing it?
:trainwreck:

Closing threads is typically seen as stiffeling commentary and the free exchange of ideas. Closing threads is normaly reserved for threads that have become total flame wars.
While we expound on the forever unresolvable topic of LDS-vs-Online gear purchasing we might could also cover the always exciting conversation on split fins. :popcorn:

We aren't at that point yet. Discussing flaws or strengths in other's statements is the nature of debate.
:rofl3: Debate? :deadhorse:

:outtahere: :happywave:

In10se, your post offers nothing but glib animations.

Has this topic been rehashed dozens of times on this very board? Yes, and it will be rehashed hundreds of times more in the future. I made my input when I saw innacuracies in the statement.

If you don't want to talk about it, don't open the thread.

:thumb:

:thumbs_down:

:trainwreck:

While we expound on the forever unresolvable topic of LDS-vs-Online gear purchasing we might could also cover the always exciting conversation on split fins. :popcorn:

:rofl3: Debate? :deadhorse:

:outtahere: :happywave:

No. please don't close it. I'm really hoping that eventually one of these threads will produce e a post from someone who can give me a good reason why I should spend more of my money than I need to to purchase something or some things I want.

Last edited by a moderator:
In10se, your post offers tremendous insight through your hilarious animations :blinking:

Has this topic been rehashed dozens of times on this very board? Yes, and it will be rehashed hundreds of times more in the future. I made my input when I saw innacuracies in the statement.

I would love to have a beer with you sometime.
:homealone: Awesome fire_diver!! ... Maybe we can knock back a few someday :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom