LDS vs Online Shopping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Should it be closed? Will anything be solved by keeping it open? Will anything be solved by closing it?

Closing threads is typically seen as stiffeling commentary and the free exchange of ideas. Closing threads is normaly reserved for threads that have become total flame wars. We aren't at that point yet. Discussing flaws or strengths in other's statements is the nature of debate.

Well if you close a thread all it will do is spawn another thread of the same topic.

because they saved $50 bucks from some wholesaler that bought inventory from a store that went out of business. Very sad!

This is possible though not the normal. There are people out there who do actually shop around to find deals then in turn sale them for a profit. This though not related to this thread has been proven in other industries such as pharmaceutical (I can not spell that word I know). Years ago reputable pharmacies were selling insulin to patients that was actually stolen from a warehouse. They in turn claimed to have bought it from a reputable source however this would almost (not neccesarily) be impossible because FDA has such strengent paper trails on controlled substances (Insulin was not the only stolen drugs they were selling)

As to the brick and mortar comment too and life support comment Alot of manufactures do require there products to be sold at reputable dealers which most often requires a store. While it is fair to say alot of internet sites are brick and mortar stores there are a few that are out of some guys garage. While the life support arguement has been beaten to death he is valid in his comment that if you buy a Aqualalung regulator online at DiveExample.com (Not a real link) and you go out and have a malfunction that cost you your life the first thing that aqualung is going to do is say he bought it from an unauthorized source.

It should be noted to CAVDVR93538 that this is not their main reason for selling products in this manner but instead they do it so they can supposedly help the little man out and provide fair competition with the big retailers. The problem with this theory is however that other manufactures are not doing so such as Mares and because of that people are willing to in many cases pay lots less for a competitors brand.

Obviously as SAS pointed out too the internet does have beniefits in other countries too. Why would she want to spend 936.00 for one items when she could go online and buy dang near a whole set up for that same price????

In Her case the LDS over there is in some really hot water because of the currency exchange is no where near able to compete with those prices.

SAS also I have to commend you. As I have come across a great many of your post and you are very cost savy. :) Had to give a good comment to ya :)

Obviously as SAS pointed out too the internet does have beniefits in other countries too. Why would she want to spend 936.00 for one items when she could go online and buy dang near a whole set up for that same price????

In Her case the LDS over there is in some really hot water because of the currency exchange is no where near able to compete with those prices.

SAS also I have to commend you. As I have come across a great many of your post and you are very cost savy. :) Had to give a good comment to ya :)

Thanks. :) Yea it's just an insane difference with some stuff! Especially with the exchange rate. But I don't buy the excuse that a lot of LDSs give that their hands are tied. One LDS (with a strong online presence) has consistently been able to price match things for me, so if he can do it, not sure why others cannot? :confused:

Buy where you want when you want and what you want.

The question has an answer only you know. Only you need to justify where you buy your gear. It is a transaction between you, the LDS or the online store. Wherever you buy it, have fun buying it and using it.

I pose this statement again. And as to closing the thread. The OP can ask to have it closed. I am also quite sure he is the one that my original post was directed to.

Close the thread,
The horse is dead.
It hurts my head.
I'm going to bed.

:D

I pose this statement again. And as to closing the thread. The OP can ask to have it closed. I am also quite sure he is the one that my original post was directed to.

Close the thread,
The horse is dead.
It hurts my head.
I'm going to bed.

:D

You know there is the option not to read threads that you don't want to?

Why would this warrant closing more than any other of the weekly or daily topics that come up here?

You know there is the option not to read threads that you don't want to?

Why would this warrant closing more than any other of the weekly or daily topics that come up here?

Sorry I interrupted your argument. I know how you like to argue just for the sake of arguing. If you don't like my posts ignore them. Better yet put me on your ignore list please.

Sorry I interrupted your argument. I know how you like to argue just for the sake of arguing. If you don't like my posts ignore them. Better yet put me on your ignore list please.

Yes I do love to argue. But this does not invalidate the arguments I do make.

FYI, I have no problem with your posts and have no interest in putting you on ignore. Thank you for asking nicely though.

LOL when they say this topic creates heated debate they were not playing. LOL All the arguments and very few so far have been about the topic :)

LOL, you funny man! :mooner:

:eyebrow: nice ta meet ya fire_diver, but now I've posted so much in here I feel compelled to actually put something up related to the OP's question. Hate it when that happens :cool2:

My answer to the OP's question? ... do it all ... LDS AND online sites like leisure pro as well as the people selling gear here on SB all have unique advantages.

Nothing beats developing a good relationship with people in your area. It allows you to enjoy the local experience to the fullest. I've made great friends walking into the LDS and my quality gear was all bought locally. Both of my MK25's came from ScubaLand here in Austin and my Tech 50's came from Tom's (also local), but I have thousands of $$$'s worth of gear from online.

Some things you know you just need local support on. I know I can call John from Scubaland on his cell at 7:30PM and get plenty of love from the brother because I've done good business with him AND not just with my plastic, but with my time. We dive together.

I've never been diving with anyone from Leisure Pro, but I've enjoyed massive savings from them online so I'm okay with that.

Gear is like beer. Sometimes ya need an ambiance to go with the suds. Someone to keep 'em coming, wipe the table and maybe even tell ya when you're about to get your a$$ in trouble. You pay more for that service, but it's well worth it.

Other times ya just need a beer :beer: :D

I hesitate to even jump in here, but what the heck. Like many others here, I buy online, I buy in the shop where I took my training and I buy in a different LDS.

Most of the online purchases I make are at sites that have physical stores. Since I travel on business frequently, I try to make time for side trips, not to the museum, but to some of the online shops I have purchased from (yea, I am a little strange). Its a great way to make some of the on-line dealers into another LDS for me - ok, maybe a DDS (Distant Dive Shop). How ever you call it, some of my online purchases have resulted in friendships I would not have had otherwise so I do not regret going online a bit.

I live in a small town, not all brands are represented here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom