LDS's going out of business very soon - help them out!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The way I understand it the student will be able to do academic requirements at home.They do that now with text and video.Instructor still required to go over knowledge reviews and administer quiz/final exam..So the way to do this is no big deal or different from what is done now.Student comes in after completing online materials.Instructor does presentations based on prescriptive outline format,does kr's /quizz./goes to pool.Looks like it is just another way for someone to learn.I do not see it as an end all or problem to instructors..If anything it will bring business in that may not have been there.I am sure after student does online materials he/she would most likely be directed to closest PADI facility to complete training bases on their zip code.Price would stay the same.

My LDS is already offering the online portion as part of their classes. True, they still have instructors that 'walk them through' and offer most of the material, explanations, and trials, but they use the online or computer material to augment the instruction. In my opinion, this is a good way to use the technology to ASSIST in the teaching. I do not believe that "virtual" training can ever ADEQUATELY take the place of qualified, experienced instructors who have the desire to relate material to the dive student.
I still agree with the Platonian model of the perfect educational environment--a log.
On one end of the log sits a student who has an earnest desire to learn. On the other end is a teacher with an earnest desire to teach. The closer we get to that, the better. Anything else is just "teaching aids".

First, since this seems a thread designed to promote a magazine, I have moved it to Media Announcements.

Second, you will soon be able to learn the academic portion of a Scuba class right here on ScubaBoard.

I pretty sure, it will only benefit LDS actually....

Think about it, the potential new diver, still has to see an instructor at some point for the confined and check out dives, the main port of call for signing up for a dive course, is still a dive shop/resort, so LDS will still get people through the door. All whats happening with this new online thingy, its putting more emphasis on the student doing more of the academic/class base stuff at home, the knowledge reviews, watching the videos, running through the RDP and doing the 'learning' stuff etc, so when they visit the dive shop - its straight in the pool/sea for actual diving. This is freeing up the LDS to do actual diving (and more courses - I presume PADIs goal), not looking bored while the student sits there watching the OW video/dvd for half an hour - plus it meets PADIs holy grail of 'Dive Now'

I presume the way its paid for will be the same, you (new diver) pays the LDS, they pay padi, but instead of buying loads of packs/books etc, the LDS might now pay more for the PIC, but on top of the accreditation, PADI now give you a user for your student on the PADI website, which contains all the videos, interactive knowledge reviews, exam etc etc, which you can access to access how they are getting on? (and perhaps send the rdp/other material) straight to the student?

All this I'm guessing at, but from what I've read, I don't think I'm far off....?

If done right, I can see LDS's being a lot more busy with actual diving. Is this concept a good idea? It does beg the question - I'm sure time will tell...

I thought SSI was already offering the academic portion of the OW course online. A friend of mine recently did their SSI OW cert. They signed up for it through the LDS, did the academic portion online, then met the instructor from the LDS at the pool. Is this harming the LDS in some way, or simply a convenience for busy people who can't make a course on a Tuesday night?

divezero:
You may or may not know, the story may have changed around a little, but it comes down to this. PADI will soon be or if they havent already, offering divers to do their open water course online!

This means dive shops who are already suffering from online gear sales will be loosing half of their other source of income, teaching open water classes. Instructors, instead of making 100 bucks, will be making 50 bucks, because they will now be just doing the pool and open water dives, instead of classroom work, causing them to quit or move on. This will hurt local dive shops BIG TIME, with PADI even admitting the future losses.

We have noticed dive sites such as divebuddy.com helping dive shops out, and thank them for that.

In our new interactive online mag, we will have a shop check section which will be dedicated to feature a couple dive shops around the world in each mag. Thus giving viewers around 20% off all gear ( or a even better deal ) for shopping at the store.

If you want to submit your local dive shop for this opportunity, to prepare for the near future results of PADI, keeping the local diving scene alive, please let us know and we will contact them. We will only choose the most interested. The first issue of the online mag is estimated to see over 100,000 + unique views in the first 3 months since its free, unique design, fast download, interactive and FUN. Get your shop signed up and lets promote actual pleasure diving.

PADI has noted, it has now become survival of the fittest, if it means taking most of their loyal dive shops and instructors out of business, then so be it. Lets not let them do it without a fight if you will.

Hi DiveZero. It is astounding how you could misread what PADI is going to do so throughly. Especially since you are the publisher of an online magazine, that would likely research EVERYTHING you say quite carefully.

The PADI eLearning program will be an internet-based approach to the home-study portion of a standard PADI Open Water Scuba Diver class. Neither PADI nor anyone else that I am aware of has ever implied that scuba diving will be taught on the internet. We all know that is not possible. PADI has not changed ONE SINGLE STANDARD with the pending introduction of eLearning. All water skills requirements remain completely intact. This means that a student that enrolls in PADI Open Water Scuba Diver eLearning will choose a local dive store (PADI IRRC Member) for completion of all of the confined water and open water dives. eLearning is simply a more efficient and effective way of delivering the home study material.

PADI has enlisted the services of "Articulate" software consultants in the development of this program. This software is used in the training of industry executives, students in major universities, government employees....all in a BROAD range of disciplines, most that could NEVER tolerate any relaxation of standards in the presentation of material and the learning obtained by the student. The PADI Open Water Scuba Diver course is not going to get easier....if anything, it will be more difficult with eLearning. The PADI dive store will make MORE money on the delivery of home-study through eLearning than they currently do through the sale of the existing Go Dive student kits (a little over TWICE as much....three times as much if they currently purchase from PADI on buying level 3 or less). This certainly cannot lead to the disasterous results you predict. Best of all, it puts the dive store in the position of delivering the home-study material to future customers the way they will WANT to get it......through their web browser, at home, at their own pace. This model is working for EVERY major university in the United States, delivering education on subjects much more serious than scuba diving....it certainly should work for scuba diving home study.

As an Advance Review Store for PADI eLearning, I have been reviewing the completed portions of the eLearning materials over the past week. I find the quality of this material to be absolutely amazing. The use of video, audio, and advanced testing techniques in this eLearning program is simply astounding. The student who completes the home-study through eLearning will come to the confined-water portion of the class MUCH more prepared than is currently likely with existing teaching methods. If a student chooses to "cheat" their way through this material, I guess they could do that. However, it will be MORE difficult to do that with eLearning than is currently is with the existing Go Dive student materials. When a student who has purchased a "seat" in the eLearning program moves to the dive store for the water skills portion of the class, there is nothing that prohibits the instructor from adding class sessions, adding oral exams prior to confined water.....even doing the entire prescriptive training class if they choose. NOTHING in the PADI eLearning program hamstrings the instructor, nor does it prevent the instructor from measuring the degree of learning prior to movement to the confined water portion of the traditional scuba class.

Why not use the power of your new magazine to deliver something that resembles the TRUTH about what PADI is doing? Why not use the power of your magazine to help stores INTEGRATE this new technology into scuba education? Why not refrain from making comments on a board that has 70,000 plus readers prior to understanding the program about which you comment?

I will assume that you have not contacted PADI to get information about this new, exciting training initiative. Had you done so with an open mind, it would be impossible for you to reach the conclusions you have reached. If you don't know who to contact at PADI, call me. I will hook you up.

PADI eLearning may well be the FIRST step ANYONE in this industry has taken in the past 10 years that is designed to help the local dive store prosper. Give it a chance. PADI did not gain the market power it currently has by being stupid. I don't think they are suddenly being so now. Thanks.

Note: I am a PADI IRRC store, and have often been critical of some of their programs and initiatives. I have no criticism of this effort. I think it is first class material, presented in a first class manner, targeted at how the CUSTOMER will want to learn in the future, and represents an extremely positive step-function change for the local scuba store.

Phil Ellis

After reading this, you all have pretty good points and I am re-thinking what I said in the first post definetly. I do have an open mind and like to see everyone's views.

You mention we are a multi source dive mag, this is true, but I am also human just like any of one you. This is myself speaking on this behalf, not the magazine, being one of the editors, I do not make the final decisions in the magazine, plus articles in our mag, we deeply review and actually fly down and check it out ourselves and do interviews.

Sure they may be points I can reply back, etc, but it's not the case, I wanted to find out your whole opinion on the situation by writing a variety of different topics in the post you can think about and reply back with. Some of them you agreed, some of them you didn't. Perfect.

I am glad to hear other views that were in the back of my head the whole time. From now on, I understand that posts I personally post on here actually do go back to represent the mag, and will do a little more research next time.

But again, thanks for all your time in writing back to this post.

Adios

Back
Top Bottom