Lead on Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've tried various backplates and so far I still like the old-fashioned plastic tank back-pack the best. Fairly recently I filled one with 8 pounds of buckshot (mixed with sand to fill up the empty space) and I'll let you know how I like it when I get around to using it :) I like the backpack design because it already has a groove for the tank (no STA needed) and it only requires one cam-band. Maybe I'm missing something really obvious but why do they put slots in backplates everywhere but the one place I want it so I could use a single cam-band? I also find the plastic backplates will adjust instantly when I put on my tank whereas with SS I have to fiddle with it to get it just right.

I've tried various backplates and so far I still like the old-fashioned plastic tank back-pack the best. Fairly recently I filled one with 8 pounds of buckshot (mixed with sand to fill up the empty space) and I'll let you know how I like it when I get around to using it :) I like the backpack design because it already has a groove for the tank (no STA needed) and it only requires one cam-band. Maybe I'm missing something really obvious but why do they put slots in backplates everywhere but the one place I want it so I could use a single cam-band? I also find the plastic backplates will adjust instantly when I put on my tank whereas with SS I have to fiddle with it to get it just right.
Here is where I age myself. My first bcd in 1980 was an At Pac. It had a hollow backpack that you filled with lead bullets and marbles. The marbles helped to keep the lead from fusing together. Then, there was a stainless trap door on the botto with a pull pin to dump the weight. And get this, it had a wing and wrap around front harness. The whole thing was a whiney light green color. Scubapro blew it away with their Stab Vest I orange

I rilped a piece of wood on a table saw and poured it into sand.

full.jpg

full.jpg

How will you retain it?

As above but with inset locator. Confession though, I bought it due to my lack of DIY skills and general incompetency. Adds 2.6kg which perfect extra weight when I'm diving in the salty stuff.

IMG_20190125_160312.jpg

IMG_20190125_160039.jpg

Here is where I age myself. My first bcd in 1980 was an At Pac. It had a hollow backpack that you filled with lead bullets and marbles. The marbles helped to keep the lead from fusing together. Then, there was a stainless trap door on the botto with a pull pin to dump the weight. And get this, it had a wing and wrap around front harness. The whole thing was a whiney light green color. Scubapro blew it away with their Stab Vest I orange

I seem to recall that the At Pac had a tendency to not drop the weight when desired. My ex had the orange Stab Vest--I salvaged the dump valve, the add-on pocket, some D-rings, and the inflator. Unfortunately the inflator was not standard (by today's standards) but I do have a quick-connector that attaches to a regulator hose :) The rest of the jacket was no longer able to hold air. Here's where I age myself--my first BC was a used yellow Dacor that I bought in 2016. BC? What do I need one of those for? I dove for 42 years before I ever used one, and that was in Hawai'i and they made me do it. :) I bought the Dacor because BC rental prices kept going up. As we speak I am making a mini, single-tank back wing to go on my plastic back-pack. In warm water I use 18 lbs of lead so with the 8 lbs in the back-pack I'll still have 10 pounds that I can dump. I find it useful to have a BC when diving in such places as coral reefs where perfect neutral buoyancy is a necessity.

I have similar thoughts

My plan is to cut stainless steel plates that can be stacked on the plate and bolted in. I have a pile of SS and the means to make these plates a clean fit. Ill make two sets one I’ll leave in Florida at my buddies hoping to cut the weights in my dump pockets to the minimum needed to float me. And a second set to sink me at home when I’m in a thick dry suit and 40 degree water. The thing I like about stacking plates v one lead bar is I can Taylor it when needed with minimal effort. And I can leave this set of weights where I spend most of my time in the water.

Back
Top Bottom