Lead shot for soft weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emoreira

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I've done my hard weights of several sizes.
Now I've bought a weight integrated BCD and I prefer to put soft weights inside instead of the hard ones.
I've been searching here is SB and there are several threads about making own soft weights (sealed and open).
All the people that did the soft weights started buying lead shot.
I've been asking where can I buy lead shot here and has been hard, as this is normally related to gun hunting.
I've been thinking to make my own lead shot, for this I would melt the lead and pour it through a metal fly screen, those used to avoid mosquitoes from coming in, and dropping the molten lead in a metal cup full of water.
I will try tomorrow with a little amount of lead to see if this works.
If any one has a better idea of how could be done to get lead shot at home, please comment.

Thanks to all

Dive safe.

Last edited:
Interesting idea, but… In the possibly unrelated phenomenon of water poured through fly screen, the water just re-combines after passing through the holes, and it looks like an uninterrupted stream. I suspect you might have more luck with perforated metal. But then there would be the issues of what size perforation, and how closely spaced. And presumably the perforated metal should be heated. And would the lead come out in drops, or would it be lots of small steady streams? Just some thoughts.

You might also want to look at this article:
Re: How the small lead shot ( 7 - 8 sizes ) used for shotgun shells are made?

Hi, I've done my hard weights of several sizes.
Now I've bought a weight integrated BCD and I prefer to put soft weights inside instead of the hard ones.
I've been searching here is SB and there are several threads about making own soft weights (sealed and open).
All the people that did the soft weights started buying lead shot.
I've been asking where can I buy lead shot here and has been hard, as this is normally related to gun hunting.
I've been thinking to make my own lead shot, for this I would melt the lead and pour it through a metal fly screen, those used to avoid mosquitoes from coming in, and dropping the melted lead in a metal cup full of water.
I will try tomorrow with a little amount of lead to see if this works.
If any one has a better idea of how could be done to get lead shot at home, please comment.

Thanks to all

Dive safe.
Shotshell lead sells for about $40 for 25 pounds. You can buy it in cabela's, for example. Is that worth making your own?

Also look up trap and skeet fields. Many times they have shot for sale, but especially they will sell reclaimed shot for a reduced price.

he's in argentina. international shipping gets pricey. far better to find a source of bulk shot there.

Argentina shoots skeet and trap, too.

Interesting idea, but… In the possibly unrelated phenomenon of water poured through fly screen, the water just re-combines after passing through the holes, and it looks like an uninterrupted stream. I suspect you might have more luck with perforated metal. But then there would be the issues of what size perforation, and how closely spaced. And presumably the perforated metal should be heated. And would the lead come out in drops, or would it be lots of small steady streams? Just some thoughts.

You might also want to look at this article:
Re: How the small lead shot ( 7 - 8 sizes ) used for shotgun shells are made?

molten lead poured through the metal fly screen. Thanks for the link.

Last edited:
I don't really think that the shot has to be all that small. Even a 30 cal ball will give you enough flex to avoid injury if you drop it on you toes.

rotometals.com is a good source for inexpensive reclaimed lead shot with free freight but I don't think that will help the OP being in Argentina:idk:

you might try a local media blasting company they use lead shot
you can also call around a few shooting ranges and ask if they have any reclaimed shot.

if all else fails do what I do... use sand. not as good as lead but it works plus sand is free:eyebrow:

a buddy of mine uses steel ball bearings which is a little heavier than sand and not as expensive as lead.

just a couple of alternatives I thought I would throw out there:cool2:

Well I tried to do my own lead shots at home, but unsuccessful.
What I've got are little lead wires of several inches.

Attachments

• IMG_4223.jpg
    IMG_4223.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_4224.jpg
    IMG_4224.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 249
easy way is to find a place that sells reloading supplies & buy bulk shot.

One option for making your own may be to step up in size. Get past shot & up to round ball, such as is used in black powder rifles & pistols. Buy a mold & start melting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom