Lead weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divermasterB

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am in need of ideas on where I could purchase lead suitable for melting and making my own lead weights.

I am planning on making a p weight for my bp/doubles, and I would also like to make some custom weights for the integrated on my BC.

Any ideas where I might be able to find lead shot, or ingots, sheeting etc.

Thanks

A scrap metal dealer should be able to sell you lead.

Lead shot is used for loading shotgun shells. A gun shop that sells reloading supplies should be able to hook you up there.

The shot used in soft dive weights looks like rejects from the shotgun shell plants or maybe shot made to lower standards just for dive weights. That's why it is usually cheaper to buy soft weights than make them.

Many fishing clubs get together for lead pouring parties a couple of times a year, so their members have the pots and ladles for pouring lead. Generally, if you bring twice as much lead as you need for your weights, they will help you pour your weights, thank you for coming, and look forward to the next time you show up. Twenty pounds or so of lead is a _really_ cheap price for such a service.

Bring welding gloves, BIG pliers, and plumber's putty.

Why bother going through the trouble of melting it? I went to the local gun shop and for $18.00 bought 25 pounds of lead shot. $3.00 for good solid (non cotton) fabric at the fabris store. then made my own pouches. Yes, I had to use the sewing machine but I made some 5# 4# and 3# (I actually made 50# worth).

If you buy soft weights you pay between $2.50 and $4.00 a pound around here. So the 50# would have cost $125.00 to $200.00.

I made 50# for $39.00 and it took me 4 hours (had to learn how to use the sewing machine). Only reason I went as high as 50# was the bags were only in 25# bags and it is nice to have spare weight.

I like soft weights better anyway since it in more forgiging when it hits my toes. Actually it works better in intergrated weighting systems and I think the weight belt is more comfortable.

Pete

Ok this is one maybe I can help on:D I make my own bullets and decoys weights etc... the best source of lead is a tire shop, ask for there "OLD" weights (ones they take off the tires and trash) you can figure for a 5 gal bucket it is about half pure lead. the trick is to melt it in a cast iron pot and have a good cast laddel with a screen to clean out the trash. also this is very very very important don't drop wet lead into the melting pot:boom: :boom: ;-0
a wood mold will work if your just makeing one or two weights but otherwise go to a local machince shop and get a two sided cast mold made. Important note always heat up the mold before you start making weights

Hope this helps

I only checked the price on lead shot once and it was a heck of a lot higher than that.

...the gun shop I checked went under. Perhaps we know why now.

Thanks for the correction. Next time I want to reload on weights it will save me a bunch. I went to shot only on the belt some time back.

He was talking about making a P weight. Shot generally won't cut it for that if he needs more than a couple of pounds.

I've made two v weights. The mold for the 12 pounder was made from a section of fencepost sliced lengthwise with two large stainless steel bolts to form the holes for the tank mounting bolts. Plumbers putty made the ends of the mold. The mold for the 24 pounder was made by whittling a wooden model from a 2x4 and using plaster of paris to make the mold from that. The 24 pounder was made obsolete and then into fishing sinkers a couple of years ago.

I used the old tire lead trick. Got a bucked of the stuff for free from a near by garage. Melted it down over a camping stove and cleaned off all the steal clips, pain and gunk from the top.

I clamped my backplate down leveled off with clear access to the bottom, used plumbers putty to damn up the ends and ceader shims though the strap holes to make cam band slots.

I then used a porpane plumbers torch to heat the bottom of the plate and continuted to apply heat as the lead was being poured in. Special care was taken to ensure the lead flowed under the ceader shims. (Watch for drips and don't start the shims on fire with the torch!)

Hosed down, shims pulled out, lead released from backplate. I drilled bolt holes. The mushroom cap bolt melted into the weight wonl't work with the STA-less system, you need a nice flat smooth bolt head on the tank side.

A few minutes with a file and cloth paper and I was done.

Thanks for all of the advice.

I don't have a sewing machine, so making my own pouches is not really an option. Besides the main thing I am interested in was making a p or v weight for my backplate.

I was planning on using the plumbers putty to damm up the ends and predrilling a hole in the. I was going to use a SS bolt with a washer and nut to make a mushroom anchor in the lead.

Also, do you think an iron skillet and a handeld propane torch will do the trick?

My regular BC has ballast pockets at the back that I want to make custom weights for. The problem with shot pouches is they take up too much room for the weight, and some of the heavier (6) lb weights are not shaped right to fit in the pouch. So, I thought I would do the wooden model/plaster mold (yes, I know the plaster will need to be very dry) to make a couple of these weights up.

Sometimes it is more the adventure in making your own, that drives the process. Also, I like to melt stuff.

Isn't lead sheeting sometimes used in roofing applications? Wouldn't you be able to acquire some at a home supply, etc?

Back
Top Bottom