Leaking Recsea Housing for Canon S95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having just bought this housing and camera, I've been following most of this thread with interest. I've also just purchased the TR-DM tray. The design of mine is slightly different to that on the Ultralight website (see photo), which is a bit concerning, but at least it's flat! By different, I am referring to the size of the grooves, which are asymmetrical on mine.

My tray.jpg

Can I please just check that this is the recommended tray to use with the Recsea S95 housing? I will be using it with a single INON S2000 strobe.

Many thanks.

Hey Squit that is the same tray I use with my Recsea and it works just fine. I've logged 79 dives and no problems.

For those who have bought trays with a lip. This is what can happen. I hope the photos are good enough to emphasize the issue.
The same photos have been sent to AJ Saito from RecSea.

I hope this will prevent further floodings.

IMG_6754.jpgIMG_6755.jpgIMG_6756.jpgIMG_6757.jpgIMG_6758.jpgIMG_6759.jpg

Miguel, Can imagine it really sucks loosing two cameras. I've been slowly building my similar system and understand how much you've invested. Even doing everything right, the threat of a flood is always there. Your point about the tray problem not being stated by the mfg. seems justified. If that is indeed the cause of the flood I'd hope something could be resolved in your favor. In any case, appreciate you filling us in and am hoping you're able to rebuild your system and get some resolution that's satisfactory. Sure everyone here can relate to your frustration and wishes the best.

thanks I appreciate :)

The diving season is over at the fench riviera. At least for me. Since I loss 10 pounds I m now more sensitive to cold water. So I will leave that investement for next year.

I am going to stay with what I said and how I said it and if anybody wants to take offense, so be it. As a technical person I attempt to give straight responses. The problem you had was the result of installing the housing with the door being pulled/forced out of alignment by the tightening of the attach screws jamming the tray lip into the housing door. This should have been obvious and unfortunately it was not to you until flood number two. I do not really agree with your proposed solutions to a non existent problem nor do I agree there is a problem. Operator error is not a design flaw. I hope you get resolution but at the same time fear your creation of a problem could have others flooding their cameras by installing larger O-rings or washers in the door hinges. The instructions do not say to do those things either but I warned you not to unless you want to flood a third camera. This advice you gave could lead others astray. Sorry to upset you.

Oh, I might add, I never said anything arrogant, I never called you stupid or any other name nor I have I ever claimed to be a pro at anything. You fabricated all of this on your own.

N

Look this discussion can go on forever.

I didn t "fabricate" anything on my own. I just bought a tray that is not suitable for this type of housing due to missing information. If I got angry it's simply because it is not always the users fault. A couple of years ago an Airbus crashed in the US because american pilots where not informed that the rudder must not be used for extreme manouvers to compensate for engine loss. You would have told it's pilot error right ? think about it... Now of course its only a housing with a camera...but the principal is the same.

I'm fully aware that floodings occurr. What is not acceptable is that dealers and others immediatly say "user mistake". Thank god I didn't buy an airplane...

RecSea is now aware of this issue because I sent them the same pictures as posted here. No more excuses.

Btw. I bought the housing at bluewaterphotography.com

Peace...

i unfortunately have just suffered two floods with my recsea. i use the straight try, and we did find a loose screw [which turns the real wheel at the back] after the first leak but can not work out what caused the second. im really upset as that is two cameras, im on a very limited buget [like lots of ppl] and it was hard work me getting the money together to get this very expensive housing. im told i am almost a@al when setting up my camera, and it worries me wth all this talk bout the door bending, surely it shouldnt be that easy for it to happen to a metal housing, wish id tried moving the door when we did one of the empty runs. after the 2nd dive we took housing in empty for 6 dives and lucky managed [by jamming the lens open] to get one of my cameras working to finish the holiday did 10 dives all dry. im also concerned that recsea have designed this housing..."giving it two o-rings which makes it harder to flood" so the sells pitch says...funny that, producing a housing for a discontinued camera which makes it harder to flood...do they know something they are not telling us????

As a matter of fact the housing still has two windows one for the flash and the other for the display and the port plus all the buttons that have orings. So those two oring on the main door are additional safety but there are plenty of possible point of failure.
As a paradox poly carbonate housings are molded one piece and other than the port they only have the buttons as possible point of failure
Lots of people have eventually flooded their camera and the best thing is to get an insurance. In UK divemaster provides follding insurance and to insure just the camera inside (as the housing can be repaired) is not even expensive

As a matter of fact the housing still has two windows one for the flash and the other for the display and the port plus all the buttons that have orings. So those two oring on the main door are additional safety but there are plenty of possible point of failure.
As a paradox poly carbonate housings are molded one piece and other than the port they only have the buttons as possible point of failure
Lots of people have eventually flooded their camera and the best thing is to get an insurance. In UK divemaster provides follding insurance and to insure just the camera inside (as the housing can be repaired) is not even expensive

so are you saying that the poly carb housings poss have less chance of flooding? one reason [apart from the real wheel use] i went for the recsea is that i thought it be more robus and there had been talk of the canon housings leaking

Back
Top Bottom