Leaking sensitivity switch on Jetstream

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fossil_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Holy Nordic nightmare Batman! What kind of engineering Joker designed the sensitivity switch on the Jetstream second stage?
So, my Jetstream was breathing wet. It wasn't difficult to determine the source of the leak. It was the sensitivity switch. No problem, easy fix. I get a new switch and o-ring but the switch didn't come with the little metal fastener that holds it in place. Ok, I'll just carefully remove the old one and reuse it. Removing that fastener without mangling it beyond recognition was a lot easier said than done.
I put the switch back together but it still leaks. No matter how hard I push that fastener down over the switch post it won't hold the switch down tight enough to compress the o-ring and keep it from leaking.
Yankee enginuity to the rescue! I dig through my box of o-rings and find one that is just slightly thicker than the OEM one that came with the switch. I straighten the fastener back into shape with a flat punch and hammer because by now it had been a little, er, a lot bent up by me removing it twice. I push the fastener back in place over the post using a small socket from my wrench set and viola! It is nice and snug, the switch slides smoothly yet firmly and best of all it doesn't leak. Hooray for me! (I made it sound easy but it was anything but, I did a lot of cussing)
What I would like to know is what engineer thought using that cheesy piece of tin for a fastener was a good idea? It is destined to work loose and/or the o-ring will eventually start leaking and there is no practical way to tighten it back up without performing something akin to open heart surgery.
It could have been designed using a screw to hold it together so that servicing it would be easy. After having the pleasure of doing this "simple" fix I understand why none of the LDS in my area will service Poseidon regs, and I live in a diving mecca with more dive shops than 7-11's.
Well, that's my rant for the day. With any luck I hope none of you folk have to replace your sensitivity switch o-ring anytime soon, it's no fun. It was such a PITA that I was damn close to just getting rid of the switch and putting a piece of duct tape over the hole. No kidding.
Have a good weekend everybody!

Last edited:
usually because that thin retainer is a super cheap piece to replace, though I'm unsure why your switch didn't come with the fastener. I order my parts individually so always make sure to order that retainer because it's like $0.50 or something stupid like that. I do have a junk housing that I was considering trying to find an E-clip that could replace the round retainer though, will report back if I find one

They didn't have the retainer listed on the website, just the switch and the o-ring. I was surprised it didn't come with the switch since it's such a cheap thing.
I have e clips and circlips but I don't think I have anything that small. It's a good idea though if one can be found that fits. Hopefully this fix will last a while.

Who do you order your parts from? I can't remember offhand who I ordered my parts from. I think it was Dive Gear Express but don't quote me on that. They had a decent list of parts but not the retainer.

DGX is the best place to order from, but I have direct access to a service center so I order that way. I'll try to take one apart today and see if I can find an appropriate sized e-clip

The post is about 1/10" in diameter.
I have a Cyklon that has a freeflow that I need to work on. The ip is good and locks up with no creep so I'm sure it's the second stage that needs work. I'm holding off on that until I get the jig for the diaphragm puck in case I need it. I have read it can be done without the jig but it isn't easy.
I'm used to working on regs like Scubapro, Mares, US Diver, Sherwood, etc. The Poseidon is a different kind of animal and I'm not that familiar with them yet. But I'm learning. I have no choice. It's either DIY or send them off to Viking Divers in Pensacola or some guy in Georgia for service and take out a second mortgage on my house to pay for it.
I think there are more Ferrari dealerships within 20 miles of my house than there are Poseidon dealers in my entire state. Go figure?

Last edited:
unsurprised by that, I only know of one shop that is actually good at it and they're in Raleigh. I DIY everything and have one Cyklon that is awaiting a trip to that shop because I don't have the jig to put the retaining ring back in....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom