Leaky mask dilemma. Thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Splitlip

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All.

I am about at wits' end.

About a month ago my Atomic frameless started leaking on me as I crossed 30 ft. It did so the entire dive such that I was constantly clearing and removing. So I bought a Scubapro mask (smallest one), don't recall the model. Same thing.

In the Keys a couple weeks ago I used a tiny Sporasub mask I had. Same thing.

The leak was coming in through my smile lines, which have always been pretty pronounced, but I had lost some weight and they are more pronounced. (not quite Dennis Quaid)

I decided to go for a mask with a bigger skirt, rather than smaller and picked up an OceanWays mask.

Everything was fine at 70ft for exactly 21 minutes. Got a little water in, cleared...then it was like getting up from a card game to use the restroom. After that, constant leaking. I thumbed the dive exactly 9 minutes later.

I am thinking of trying out my daughters Liquid Skin (very soft skirt) even though it is pink. Peaople have recommended Cristilube or vaseline.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Tim

:D:D:D:D:D

To get smile lines like that you must have done a lot of Diving!!

:D:D:D:D

Ah, perfect.

I had the exact same problem. My physiology allows me to clear my mask by smiling and breathing out through my nose. That's all I have to do in any orientation. Over the last year, I lost 20 pounds and my mask started leaking underwater. (I had to take 1.5" off my drysuit neck seal) I don't remember the brand, but it fits great, has a small profile, and gives me a great field of view.

What you have to do is...

... tighten the straps.

This is a serious problem but there is a remedy.

STOP SMILING.:D

Sorry couldn't resist:rofl3:

It sounds like you need to go to a huge shop where you can try out some various masks. I agree that the purge mask is a great solution, and perhaps a large volume mask, rather than an low volume mask -- I loved the Dacor Purge mask, but they've long since disappeared, luckily I bought 2. As much as I know exactly what I like, I can't conceive buying a mask without putting it in my hands. Just continuing to buy masks until you find one that works makes no sense to me. This problem can be solved, but you need to work with a local shop, who will let you try some masks.

Also -- it is possible you are over tightening your various masks, which will also cause them to leak-- you should be able to press a mask to your face and hold it there with no strap at all... there is a million masks there will be one for you, just do not keep buying them until you find one that works, and go back to basics, maybe you are missing something. There are no less than 9 Local Dive shops within a few miles of you, find one that will work with you.

It sounds like you need to go to a huge shop where you can try out some various masks. I agree that the purge mask is a great solution, and perhaps a large volume mask, rather than an low volume mask -- I loved the Dacor Purge mask, but they've long since disappeared, luckily I bought 2. As much as I know exactly what I like, I can't conceive buying a mask without putting it in my hands. Just continuing to buy masks until you find one that works makes no sense to me. This problem can be solved, but you need to work with a local shop, who will let you try some masks.

Also -- it is possible you are over tightening your various masks, which will also cause them to leak-- you should be able to press a mask to your face and hold it there with no strap at all... there is a million masks there will be one for you, just do not keep buying them until you find one that works, and go back to basics, maybe you are missing something. There are no less than 9 Local Dive shops within a few miles of you, find one that will work with you.

LOL. You have been to Jupiter.

Yup, Jupiter Dive Center and Divers Direct have worked with me. Even the one I purchased in the Keys, from Dive Duck Key (Wendy), allowed me to try the mask before I purchased it. Just weird that it was good for 20 minutes.

I did exacerbate the situation when I tightened the mask under water. I just have never had water in a mask to speak of for the last 10 years or so. And I was just trying different things. Maybe I just need to accept a little water and clearing like in the days of rubber skirts.

Next dive, I will wear yesterday's mask and not mess with the fit underwater. I will also bring down one or 2 others including a purge if I can borow one next week.

Thanks All.

...wrinkles, huh ? ....I'm thinkin' BIOTOX! :)

Tim--From all the smart aleck responses you can just tell most folks don't encounter this problem--but I do. I'm 8 masks down the road now; a few have been ok, most haven't been (my Atomic Sub-Frame has been the least leaky). Anyway, the idea of trying lots of masks in the shop w/ a reg mouthpiece in place allowed me to determine that lots of masks would work, at least as long as I stayed in the store and didn't go underwater w/ them. Even the best fitting mask in the store would leak on me uw. Oh and I did try the silcone goop solution but can't say as it really worked.

So, new tactic. I changed mouthpieces on my reg and went to a SeaCure custom fit mouthpiece. I reasoned it was the one variable I hadn't messed with and possibly it wouldn't push my mouth area out quite as much. Alas, I just did this and haven't been in the water w/ it yet but I head out next week for 2 wks so I'll find out for sure if it helps. Will post something if it does work. Meanwhile, good luck--I mean how the heck are you supposed to not smile while diving, close your eyes?? // ww

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom