Leaky masks and Mustache sealants & wax

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have found that there is a sweet spot for length where I don’t have any mask leak. Too long or too short and it leaks. For my it’s 3/8” but I imagine it depends on what each person’s hair is like.

Maybe a bit off topic; but those of you who use beeswax or other stash product and technical dive. Are you worried about starting a fire on your upper lip? We were expressly told in flight school not to use hair product like flat top wax when flying, as the high 02 content from wearing a mask would and did cause small explosions in the helmet, no joke.

I’ve heard of people eating greasy food before a dive, and switching over to high 02 mix in the dive and getting a small pop.....

Mods, if you want to split this into a new topic please feel free.

@SayNo2Snow - It sounds like you do recreational diving, but I think the above comment is worthy of investigation if you are using a high O2 content gas. I have NO personal experience with this diving, but I was a naval aviator in tactical aircraft and used 100% oxygen regularly while wearing a moustache. I wouldn't have drown if my mask leaked so I didn't worry about creating a seal by waxing/greasing my 'stache. Besides, the mask fit differently and the moustache wasn't even an issue.

Maybe one or more technical divers who use high O2 content gas might want to comment.

Cheers -

I use vaseline on my mustache. Works great. I keep a tube of it in the mask box along with anti-fog.
I always use ring finger of one hand for working the anti-fog around and the index finger of the other hand for the mustache.
That helps prevents an accidental rubbing of vaseline on the mask lens.
Been doing it for 25+ yrs.

I have a full man beard and found that I had to buy a mask that worked with my face a and stash. I would say either a good mark or perhaps flex seal? Lol keeps a boat dry.

I use an Atomic Venom mask now and it doesn't leak. I've had a few others over the years and they haven't leaked either. Never have gone diving without facial hair. I didn't know it was a problem.

I started out shaving my lip, then went to using mask seal, then used beeswax based mustache wax for a while. I forgot the wax on one trip and didn't have any leaking. Now I don't use anything and rarely need to clear. All since last July when I got certified. :D

One factor might be that my facial hair is soft. I usually keep it very short, like about 1/8 - 1/4 inches long.

I also got better results when I stopped using my $100 Sherwood and starting using a $30 DGX frameless mask. I hardly even notice my mask while diving now!

I have a fairly bushy 'stache and if I don't take some precautions, I get a bit of leaking. Not enough that I can't take care of it with regular clearing. Trimming below my nose and applying Chapstick works best for me.

My advice for diving with facial hair is the same as my advice for having facial hair: yeah, it's irritating at first, but you get used to it.

It has been decades since I dove with a stach or a full beard. I used vaseline back then (with varying degrees of success)

Back
Top Bottom