Leaky Release Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tahunga

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I believe I have a very small leak in my air-release valve on my dry-suit. It leaks just enough to be annoying and "provide me" with a wet arm during the dive. Has anyone had this problem? Is there anything that can be done? I tried to open the valve but have not figured out how. There must be a trick, but I have not found it. Any suggestions? I believe that if I could open it, at least I could thoroughly clean it and possibly even lubricate it with some silicon. The valve (and suit) is some ten years old.

Any helpful suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I had the same problem just about a month ago. It might not be the valve (the are very reliable and a good warm water wash fixes most of the problems), in my case it was a leaky seam very close to where the valve is located. Test the drysuit (you have to super inflate the suit) with soapy water right on the seams.
Good Luck

What brand drysuit exhaust valve do you have? Apeks or Si-tech?
What kind of drysuit do you have? DUI tends to put some adhesive to keep the exhaust valve in place on the suit. Other manufacturers (Bare, Whites) don't use any adhesive, so it's very easy to remove the exhaust valve by unscrewing it. If you can remove the valve, I'd recommend a thorough warm water soak. That can help. AFAIK, those exhaust valves really aren't designed to be user-serviceable. Also, bear in mind that, as utiladude suggested, the leak may be coming from somewhere near the valve.

I think TSandM once posted an illustrated take-apart guide for a Si-tech drysuit exhaust valve. It involves prying with a flathead screwdriver so the procedure isn't for the faint of heart. PM her if you're interested or do a SB Search for it. Actually, it may have been on DiveMatrix.com...I'm really not sure.

Considering that your exhaust valve is 10 years old...it may be time to replace it. Depending on the kind of exhaust valve you want, it should cost $50 - $80.

Good luck...

Does it still leak if you screw it shut (or at least tighter) during the dive?

You can take them apart and pull the spring out a bit (dont' overdo it) to increase the tension. You can also replace the rubber parts on the inside and/or replace the whole valve without too much trouble.

Finally, are you sure the valve is leaking? It's also possible that you have another problem, like a pinhole in your suit near the valve...

R..

I really appreciate all the suggestions. I tested the suit around the valve for pin-holes and seam-leaks. None appeared. I did manage to open the valve and clean it thoroughly. The leak is nearly gone. Still a little moisture after a good dive. But not too bad. I will probably still end up buying a new valve, as I was given a new one by our local store to try it out. It was bone dry!! So my bottom line feeling is that my rubber membrane is getting weak. And I don't think I can buy just that single piece.

Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom