learn from tables or dive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matthew:
Can you cite concrete examples?

I was part of an expedition up to the arctic ice to collect gelatinous zooplankton. We took six pre-production Edges with us to use, this was the first use of dive computers from a National Science Foundation vessel.

As usual we planned Bingo air (with appropriate alterations for blue-water diving) which includes planning for possible decompression in case we overshot our plans by one depth and/or one time bracket.

The first two dives were uneventful, the Edges worked fine and everyone was cold limited rather than decompression status limited (for a change). The dives were in water that was about -1 degree C for about an hour with maximum depth excursions down to 60 FSW.

On the third dive, one that we planned to 100 FSW, all six computers failed during the dive, not everyone was wearing a backup timer or watch, but we knew the depth because of the blue-water rig which limited our descent. So we ascended to twenty feet and worked there until we hit our Bingo air at which time we came up to ten FSW, took five minutes there and surfaced.

The computer problem was one that we had not considered (neither had the manufacturer), due to the remote nature of the cruise, and the way in which these early computers ate batteries, we had decided to use rechargeable batteries rather than ballasting the ship with alkalines. These nicads have a very different discharge curve and on the third dive they were low enough to blow right through the low battery warning in a matter of minutes as they chilled. We solve the problem by rotating dive crews (making sure that those that had lost their data were out of the water for 18 hrs.) and always starting each dive with a freshly charged battery. There were no further incidents

Matthew:
Can you cite concrete examples?

No, I can't.

And I suppose it wouldn't be do-able in every case. It depends on previous profiles.

But say you did a dive for 30 minutes to a max depth of 40' on your computer. For some reason, it fails during the surface interval. So long as you know that your dive was 30 minutes long and that your maximum depth was 40' and how long you've been out, you can use tables. If you don't know those things, you can't.

tables are cake, and when u go out on a dive boat , u dont even hafta worry about doin them, the capt. and dive master do it all for u

mattboy:

lol

well, when your Occupation is: Skool, what do you expect?

lol

Pongorulz:
tables are cake, and when u go out on a dive boat , u dont even hafta worry about doin them, the capt. and dive master do it all for u

A) Prepare for some flak coming your way.

B) I've never been on a boat where the captain or DM defined my profiles. Usually the captain will say something like "The anchor's in 60 feet of water. Good reef off starboard and some kelp off port." DM's may say, "Watch your NDLs and give me the OK sign after you surface." But I've never had a member of the crew define my profile. And if he tried, I'd still follow my own. (Exceptions may include time limits - e.g. on a drift dive - but never full profiles. If I'm instructed to surface after 45 minutes, I'll re-write my profile accordingly).

Blackwood:
A) Prepare for some flak coming your way.

Call me old fashioned but anyone who uses u in place of real words deserves at least a light smattering :wink:

Pongorulz:

Troll.

Pongorulz:

Ummmm.... How long have you been diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom