Learned the hard way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wspalding

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, I now know from first hand experience that an advanced diver in clear warm water diving from a comfy charter does not make you an advanced New England shore diver coping with rocks, cold water and surge. What a humbling experience THAT was.

As long as you don't get hurt and you learned a lesson - that is a good day of diving... :D

My rescue cert taught me to not become a victim, I got to put that into play. I haven't figured out my weight yet in easy conditions so, trying to do so under challenging circumstances was about the dumbest thing I've ever done. I ended up bailing on the dive until I can get the basic bouyancy stuff figured out. It was a tough call, but I think the right call. I was clearly very over-weighted and had no business doing that dive.

I worked in South Korea which offered some pretty tough conditions - vis often lower than 10 feet, surge, current and very very low temperatures and we would often get people wanting to dive that got certified in Thailand or in those nice warmer easier parts. After the first season I had to cap the majority of our dives as at least AOW for us to take people on them as we had some many situations where people got in to difficulty. Certifications are good for the world over but most training is not good for the world over

It's quite a transition, but worth making. I've helped people adjust to Puget Sound a couple of times now. It doesn't take all that long -- the basic skills are the same :)

My rescue cert taught me to not become a victim, I got to put that into play. I haven't figured out my weight yet in easy conditions so, trying to do so under challenging circumstances was about the dumbest thing I've ever done. I ended up bailing on the dive until I can get the basic bouyancy stuff figured out. It was a tough call, but I think the right call. I was clearly very over-weighted and had no business doing that dive.

Sounds like a good call. Good on you.

May I suggest that you go out to Folly Beach in Gloucester, doesn't look to far from you. It is a great transition from Caribbean diving to North East braille diving. the few times I've been able to dive there the vis was at least 20 feet and unless the wind is howling it stays pretty calm. And yes the conditions are about on par with the Puget Sound, although I think we get warmer water.

So, I now know from first hand experience that an advanced diver in clear warm water diving from a comfy charter does not make you an advanced New England shore diver coping with rocks, cold water and surge. What a humbling experience THAT was.

Cold water turns me off (almost as much as cold air turns me off) so I'm not one to provide solutions here.

Your post just made me think, wondering what I would do if I was in your fins, my first thought was to get in the water without scuba, just the minimal thermal protection that I can handle and swim in and out the area I would cover for the dive. As far as buoyancy adjustments, I sure wouldn't care to test-adjust-test again in heavy surf around rocks.

Good luck, hopefully you get these necessary techniques down before the real cold arrives, brrrrrrr I better go out right now and feel the warm air in my skin, this thread is making me shiver.

Glad you made it back to tell a cautionary tale to others that may have similar backgrounds. Calling a dive is never a bad decision. Back Beach and Old Garden Beach in Rockport are also good dive sports for getting acclimated.
Jim

Most of the local dive shops have guides/instructors you could hire to do your first couple dives with you to ease the transition. They're generally great resources for tips on all kinds of things related to cold water diving, could take you to appropriate sites for an intro to NE diving, and could help you figure out proper weighting. Cold water diving is different in a lot of ways from warm water, and it certainly has plenty of challenges, but once you know how to manage the differences it can be just as much fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom