Learning to service my Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skinsfan0260

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Where do I get started if I want to learn how my Regulators work and eventually how to service them. I am extremely anal about cleaning and maintaining everything I own. This includes my equipment that I just purchased within the last year. However this is only the outside. I would also like to learn how to service them myself. But since it took me three years to afford to buy them in the first place I am leery about tearing them apart. Please help

I agree that Vance Harlow's book is very good.

You can get tools here: Scuba Tools - Scuba Tools Custom
But read the book first so you only get what you need.

If you are really worried you could buy a couple inexpensive used regulators on e-bay and start with those. Buy something similar to what you have (a used piston first stage if you have a piston first stage etc.) Generally a lot of good can be done by taking the regulator apart cleaning and lubricating everything. Also get the manufacturer's service procedure, which can be found on line for many regulators.

But do not worry too much it is a lot simpler than you have likely been lead to believe.

What variety of reg are you looking to service? Some are easier (or indeed possible) to find parts and regulator specific tools for than others. Some service manuals are readily available online, while some would require special interrogational skills to get one's hands on. Whatcha got?

Cheers,

Chris

I have two. One is a Aeris Atmos Pro, and the other is a Hollis DC2 212 both have Mares Brigade Viper octos.

Back
Top Bottom