leashes.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leash work is one of the most dangerous parts of tech diving IMO. I know of two AL40's with 50% at the bottom of the ocean outside of Halifax harbor.

Dives that require that work, should have support divers. (Which I was the one...replacing the two dropped 40's)

Dives that require that work, should have support divers. (Which I was the one...replacing the two dropped 40's)

Agree. But...

Leash work is one of the most dangerous parts of tech diving IMO. I know of two AL40's with 50% at the bottom of the ocean outside of Halifax harbor.

Were these 4 or more bottle dives? A bottom stage + a deco gas below 70ft? I don't remove my 50% (unless I have to and I haven't yet) for exactly this reason.

Were these 4 or more bottle dives? A bottom stage + a deco gas below 70ft? I don't remove my 50% (unless I have to and I haven't yet) for exactly this reason.

Yes, Stage + 120ft gas on diver. 70 and 20 on leash. Swap stage + 120 for 70 and O2 at the 70' mark.

Yes, Stage + 120ft gas on diver. 70 and 20 on leash. Swap stage + 120 for 70 and O2 at the 70' mark.

Yes safety diver's a good idea here.

How were they doing the rotation? With a finger through the leash at all times? Leash in left hand, removing and replacing stages with the right hand only and with a finger through the snap loop? These are definately some of those nuances which are lost on the internet. There are ample illustrations of DIW leash use. Was this one of those CFs or a legit oops?

Yes safety diver's a good idea here.

How were they doing the rotation? With a finger through the leash at all times? Leash in left hand, removing and replacing stages with the right hand only and with a finger through the snap loop? These are definately some of those nuances which are lost on the internet. There are ample illustrations of DIW leash use. Was this one of those CFs or a legit oops?

How they should and how it went...was not the same LOL

How it should

Take Leash off and hold it (its neg by a bit at this point)
Take off 80 stage (its empty) and attach to leash.
Take off 120ft (40AL) and attach to leash

(now...if you are a putz and let go...2 neg bottles and 2 positive bottles..it should not go far very fast)

Then move the 1st 40 (70ft) and clip it to you.
Then move the 20ft and clip it to you.

(now...if you are a putz and let go...2 positive bottles..you don't need them and they go up to the top)

Clip leash back on. (or in our case...pass to support diver)

With a finger through the leash at all times?
Whole hand

Leash in left hand, removing and replacing stages with the right hand only and with a finger through the snap loop?
Yes

Also...as a support diver they could call me over for help.

Last edited:
I would:

between 110 and 90ft while breathing 120 bottle:
unclip tail of bottom stage
unclip leash
remove bottom stage and put on leash
remove 70 and put on me
put leash back on left hip

80ft backgas break
70ft switch

between 60 and 40ft while on 70ft bottle:
unclip tail of 120 bottle
unclip leash and bring forward
remove 120 and put on leash
remove O2 and put on me
put leash back on hip

You can try to do it all at 80ft during the backgas break but I think it would be rushed and I'd prefer to slow down and do 2 seperate rotations. I try not to do rotations at gas switch depths because having your hands full makes buoyancy more complicated. So if I drop a little I can have a more leisurely correction.

Ymmv

I would:

between 110 and 90ft while breathing 120 bottle:
unclip tail of bottom stage
unclip leash
remove bottom stage and put on leash
remove 70 and put on me
put leash back on left hip

80ft backgas break
70ft switch

between 60 and 40ft while on 70ft bottle:
unclip tail of 120 bottle
unclip leash and bring forward
remove 120 and put on leash
remove O2 and put on me
put leash back on hip

You can try to do it all at 80ft during the backgas break but I think it would be rushed and I'd prefer to slow down and do 2 seperate rotations. I try not to do rotations at gas switch depths because having your hands full makes buoyancy more complicated. So if I drop a little I can have a more leisurely correction.

Ymmv

+1, with "clip tail" added at the end of every rotation.

The Leash Law: Don't let go of your pets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom