Least Favorite Piece of Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are still a lot of California divers without BCDs. Gallery of California Backpack Divers : 1999-2001
I don't have any noisemakers, snorkel or anything I could dive without, but it would be nice to dive in my drysuit without a weight belt.

I hate hoods,.... But it is a necessary evil......
I couldn't even hear my own tank banger with my hood. The banger was a foolish purchase.

I hate my semi dry just a little bit more than I hate my 7mm - im sure the semi dry is trying to kill me by compressing my carotid artery. Hate it. Hate putting it on, hate getting it off, I do not like it one single bit...and its hood is even worse.

Simple response. Dive computers with alarms, tank bangers, and annoying photographers that chase fish. On occasion, I will use my metal pointer on my tank if it's a life-threatening situation. Perhaps, I should let the natural selection continue and not interfere.

Last edited:
Snorkel. Why I went to a roll up that I keep in my pocket.

On the subject of tank bangers I got one for my wife. She knows not to use it unless its urgent. Perhaps Ive been fortunate in that Ive not had to dive with people who abused them. Last year there was one squawking computer. Oddly it belonged to a dive professional, a DI that was there with his wife. She was relatively new and struggled a bit.

I don't get frustrated by any the the gear I normally use. However, as a matter of principle I find a snorkel more of a hindrance than a help most of the time. They have their uses but I wish standards would allow to teach that a snorkel is an "accessory" like a lamp that should be used when it is appropriate, as opposed to a bit if required gear.

As for gear that other divers use that annoys me:

1) far and away on the top of my personal list of pet peeves are rattles.
2) Close behind are people who are using camera's but can't dive well enough yet to maintain buoyancy and/or situational awareness while they are doing so.
3) A bit of gear I find completely pointless is a buddy line. They are used extensively where I live by certain dive clubs but in my opinion if you have learned to dive as a buddy team, it has no function whatsoever other than to get in the way and form a distraction.

R..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom