Least Favorite Piece of Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Nianne -- this will be soemthing I have to look into -- THANKS

You're welcome. Mine is in a pocket, so just in case, I have it. It take a little space and weight, but then, I prefer to be carefull and have a snorkel that I won't probably use than other gadget that I won't use either ! :)

Camera housing, ports and strobe. PIA to travel with, expensive, and really expensive when they flood. Like swimming around with an umbrella if you are in current. All in all I just hate it all. However I do like the results.

I only hate gear that I don't own. :D :D :D

I dove for many years without an SPG or a BCD. I simply love them now.

HA i remember wearing a 5m farmer john in the middle of June. I had to have 26lbs of weight and I was sooooo hot. sigh
Yeah, 7 mil farmer john and 43 pounds and hot in June as well--until I hit the 45F water. We "winter" on the N. Gulf, so it's not so great returning in April. Yeah, I hate all that stuff. When I'm in NY area each summer it's shorty and 18 pounds. Don't hate that, but can still be hot as Hell.

i just changed BCDs and I am still trying to get used to the weight issue. I have a zena and I am still playing around with where to put the weights to get neutral bouancey (sp)

I have never used a back inflate before mine has always been a full jacket and I have only dove once with the new one --- so it will take some adjusting

I was watching an old diving movie a few days ago, and I noticed that they had no BCDs like you were saying. I learned to dive as a kid in 1999, and honestly just assumed there was no other way to dive. How did they control buoyancy? Wouldn't you constantly be fighting to stay down or off the bottom? The diving seemed like constant kicking and exhausting, but that could have just been the movie. I would love to go as minimal as possible.

+1 for wetsuit (especially putting it on wet)
Buoyancy is controlled through careful attention to using the right amount of weight and then using the lungs for buoyancy compensation through structured breathing patterns. For over a decade now, I've done almost all of my diving without a BC and I've enjoyed my dives more as a result of the improved streamlining and light/compact size for traveling.

So, I guess I could say that my BC was my least favorite piece of gear. Now that it's gone from my kit, I guess the next thing would have to be the tank. There's not much else left on my stripped down minimalist kit to complain about. If only I could hold my breath for 7 to 10 minutes at a time while diving, I'd be happy as a dolphin and no tank would be needed. How do I get my genes modified to be able to do that?

Any noise maker. I dived with a guy in Roatan that used his rattler for everything. Back on the boat he commented I tried to get your attention but you kept moving away. My response, Oh I heard you, I was just trying to move far enough away that I couldn't.

Retractors

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom