Least People - Coz, Playa C, or Isla Mujer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the info. Looks like Cozumel it is...I can dive, friends and kids can do the beach and snorkel! I'm planing to stay at El Coz based on some co-worker's recommendation. Any reason why I shouldn't?

If you are the only diver in your group, take a hard look at Playa. The diving on the coast is different, no walls, but the beaches are much better and 5th Ave is a better scene than San Miguel. Also day trips to the ruins and cenotes are easier if you stay in Playa. If you still want to dive Coz, most shops will either take you over to the island or make arrangements to have a shop meet you at the ferry.

Also take a look at Akumal. About an hour south of Playa with postcard beaches and snorkeling (every snorkeling trip in Akumal Bay we have seen turtles). The local reefs are in pretty bad shape and the area's diving fame are the cenotes, which are world class. In Akumal you can get a two bedroom condo that is literally right on the beach for less than $200 a night.

Take a look at Riviera Maya Hotels, Resorts, Rentals: Mexican Caribbean Vacation for Akumal condos/hotels and Playa del Carmen, Mexico's Virtual Guide Book : Playa.Info for Playa del Carmen.

I'm flexible as to where I can dive. All I need is my camera and any reef with critters and I'll be happy. It's the non-divers that I'm worried about. They have a few requirements: nice snorkeling area for kids, nice rooms, and not too many people at the beach. They don't care if it's the same beach and snorkel area everyday as long as it's not packed with people. So most likely they won't even leave the hotel. I was hoping for a place that will let me do all those. I've looked are InterContinental...but it cost an arm and a leg.

a bit of trivia. cancun in mayan means snake nest or snake bowl.

Hello Gussy!

I have been to Playa Del Carmen X2, pre-diving, and Coz X2 to dive.

Cancun - haven't been so I can't help- secluded beach?? doubt it

Playa Del Carmen - Stayed at a fancy hotel on the North end of town($200/night). My wife and I could walk North of our hotel and enjoy prestine white sand beaches and plenty of privacy, 10 minutes and you were all alone, shell hunting and savoring every minute. No diving experience there but nearby you will find Xcaret and Xel-Ha. Look them up to learn more...snorkeling, cenote exploration, tribal celebrations and more. Playa offers many great opportunities to dine and experience an International community - 25% US during our 2003 visit.

Cozumel - We stayed at Hotel Cozumel and with the largest pool on the Island +++ we had a great time. Kid's Club for the kids and snorkeling/SCUBA right off the pier/dock. There is plenty of great diving (22 dives of my own) so you can't go wrong!

Beaches here are nothing like Playa. Most established beaches with sand (what sand there is) have a modest entry fee and some ok service. The windward side offers some excellent beach exploration and I recommend renting a car for at least one day to check it out.

Overall - Without knowing your budget or lenght of stay.... The beaches at Playa were the best I have ever seen, Diving in Coz is awesome, Cancun seems not to be far enough away...

So - Playa to Coz or Coz to Playa? Well the ferry goes both ways. If you only expect 2-4 dives, split them between Playa and Coz on your schedule.

If you want more dives - Cozumel will not dissapoint, but take an early day to expore Playa, you will most likely want another!

Torcatdog

I'm going on a trip to that area in April and want to avoid the spring break crowds. Which are would have the least number of people? How bad does it get? Like Cancun? Would it be possible to find a deserted beach?

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom