Leave nothing but bubbles????

Which category do you feel most resembles your attitudes??

• Vegan, and don't believe in messing with the critters.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Not vegan, but don't like spearfishing

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • Spear fisher, at least partly with environmental considerations

Votes: 18 42.9%
  • Spear fisher because I like it, and the environment or morality is not a consideration

Votes: 5 11.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SavageRon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just saw a conversation mentioning morality and didn't want to muddy the waters of that conversation, but it included "leave nothing but bubbles" listed as a dive mantra, and I guess it is. It's one that I followed when I started diving a comparatively short time ago, (2 years - 67 dives) but now I'm not so sure.

Of course this is Florida, and there is no such thing as a good lion fish in these waters, so I was ready to make an exception.Then I started buddying with a spear-fisher who became a good friend.
At the same time as I was considering veganism, I was indulging in the freshest of fish; raw within minutes of it's kill. In a furore of ecological conservatism I was all over the internet (and still am) petitioning causes and learning more.
It was in that learning I discovered the techniques used by fishermen and the ridiculous levels of bycatch, as well as overfishing and the reef destruction by commercial vessels.
So that took my personal evolution another step. Suddenly eating spear fished food is about a thousand times better for the environment than eating a can of tuna. Last year I went as far as attending a class on spearfishing at one of the local dive shops, though still haven't made the investment in a gun as I'm moving (overseas) in a couple months.

At this point I'm not vegan, but still cruelty aware. I TRY to eat vegan meals a few times a week, but still indulge in poultry, red meat, and seafood. I try for free range/selectively caught but between the amount of fraud/deception/poor labelling/selectively enforced regulation involved in industry it's impossible to be certain. I do the best I can.
I haven't hunted or killed my own animal for food in twenty years, but I have (and believe it's something that everyone should have had to do at least once in their lives). I watch documentaries on "shark finners" and would more cheerfully eat the steaks made from their bodies, than I would eat a bowl of sharks fin soup.

On the morality of killing, eating is a natural trait for survival. It's immoral not to survive, Killing to eat is part of nature. Being selective and neither cruel or excessive is as natural as way to live as there can be.

I DO NOT want this thread to degenerate into an argument, but I am interested in the perspectives of others; From their own experiences in balancing survival with enjoyment of nature.

(Note to the mods: I know this thread isn't precisely Florida specific, and contemplated putting it in the Pub, but it's the "local flavour" I'm most interested in, since this is where I have been living for the last 4 years or so, and this is the forum I have trawled most frequently, so am more likely to see commentary from some of the "characters" I am most interested in perspectives from. Attitudes are different here, so the regional forum is hopefully not inappropriate.)

Last edited:
I too saw the "leave only bubbles" mention in that other thread.

Those are odd poll options, and I'm not sure if any fit me. I have only spearfished a few times in my life, and it was freediving. But I have been an angler (rod and reel, that is) since I was six years old. I try to align what I catch or refrain from catching with current thinking on sustainability. My take on spearfishing, if I were to spearfish, would be no different. If anything, a spearfisherman can be even more selective about what he takes than an angler can. If it's sustainable seafood, I'll eat it. I don't care how it was caught.

What about: Spear fisherman because it is the least wasteful way to harvest fish

A brazillion likes to you, sir.

What about: Spear fisherman because it is the least wasteful way to harvest fish
That would be option three.
You need a few more choices. I don't spearfish, but don't mind if others do, but I actively hunt and consume lobster.
Yeah, I should have been more specific, but when I was writing out options I was ending up with massive lists of variabilities, and I slimmed it down to the main ones, and hoped people would guesstimate near enough. I should have been less specific in mentioning "spear fishing" and just gone for any something more wordy like: "specifically targeted (seafood of preference) hunting technique". :) I should probably have added a "only kill lionfish" option too, but with too many possibilities the poll wouldn't encourage conversation and explanation of specifics. I'm sure there were as many rationales out there as there are opinions.

Vegetarian and avid member of PETA....We are no longer 'hunter-gatherers' and do not have to hunt (or eat flesh) to survive.....( I find 'trophy' hunters particularly despicable and disgusting people)....But, I understand the need for game management and know that 'true' sportsmen contribute to habitat preservation, seek to keep populations healthy and harvest in as humane a way as possible....True sportsmen respect nature and understand it.......Unfortunately there are too many individuals who think 'killing' is macho, and a manly 'tradition'.......YEAH RIGHT ........

I don't hunt, I'm generally tolerant of those who do. I usually dive by myself or with a family member, I don't have to directly deal with the hunters.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom