Leaving the islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HIdiver

Registered
Reaction score
I am so sad that I have to leave the islands. They have been good to me and I will really miss it here. I will especially miss diving the nice warm tropical waters. My husband and I are moving back home to alaska. We don't plan on diving in the cold water there anytime soon. So, we are selling our gear (see the scubaboard classifieds if you are interested) and giving the sport a break for a while. However, I will be visiting the boards more often to see those great shots of the beautiful waters here... so keep those pictures coming!!
~Shannon

Shannon,
You guys really have an extreme life journey, Hawaii and Alaska... Wow~~~

It's supposed to be the other way around Alaska to Hawaii. You must be depressed.

Actually, I was born and raised in Alaska. I moved to the islands in Jan of 99. At first I didn't like the monotony of the islands, but they grew on me. The culture is so much a like in both places, I didn't go through any type of "culture shock" so it was pretty easy sailing as far as getting along with people. I really am going to miss Hawaii, but Alaska has my heart (it will always be home). I'm sure we will come and visit often, but not often enough to keep my gear (thats why I'm selling it). I will really miss diving, but the cold water just doesn't call to me after being spoiled here!

Sorry to hear you are leaving the islands and the warm water diving in your backyard.
I want to live on an island some day just so I can keep referring to the mainland as the mainland. On the other hand you will be going home, if you hunt and or fish you'll be in another paradise.
David

HIdiver:
Actually, I was born and raised in Alaska. I moved to the islands in Jan of 99. At first I didn't like the monotony of the islands, but they grew on me. The culture is so much a like in both places, I didn't go through any type of "culture shock" so it was pretty easy sailing as far as getting along with people. I really am going to miss Hawaii, but Alaska has my heart (it will always be home). !

Keep us posted. I moved from Ohio to Hawaii in the 1977 and stayed there for 10 years. After 10 more years in the Philippines I kind of thought I wanted to go back home too, and raise my kids etc etc. After about 4 months back in Ohio I realized why I left in the first place. The weather sucks, no surf, no diving, (sorry all you Buckeyes but after the wild blue, I couldn't get into the quarry scene.....), no big water fishing....... And then my son, who grew up on the beaches of the Visayas region in the Philippines looked at me one dreary February day and said, "Dad? Are we ever going to live near the beach again"? In three months we were back on one in Malaysia. It's hard to go back to junk weather, at least in my experience. Hank

Well as long as your are happy about going to Alaska - you know what awaits you - then I guess it's ok...and it isn't really that far away

Aloha

My gear just isn't going to cut it, even if I do decide to go diving in the cold water up there! LOL So, I really need to get rid of it while I'm here. I have it in the classifieds here on SB (take a look). If the sale is local, I will let it go for $450 a set (BC/Regulators/guages). The stuff is in great condition. Thanks for all the support!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom